Chapter 40: The Broken Rules

It's like I've been awakened
Every rule I had you break it
It's the risk that I'm taking
I ain't never gonna shut you out

Desperation really gets people in weird places.

Like in this instance, where I went to Mr. Florence's office the first thing in the morning.

"I'll knock and you speak." I ordered Zoe, who was willing to come to school earlier with me.

Yesterday, after the whole cafeteria fiasco, I went straight home to get myself a clear head. Zoe, ever the gossip girl, followed me home along with Jade after finding about, and I told them all about what happened. There were some tears involved, of course, but they made me feel better and convinced me that I could get my boys back.

She raised an eyebrow. "Bitch, I ain't the one who needs a favor! I'll knock and you speak."

I pouted. "Fine."

Zoe nonchalantly knocked on his door and stepped aside when he opened it.

"Ms. Solace," he greeted, visibly taken aback. "To what do I owe this visit?"

Clearing my throat, I put on my please-listen-to-me-I'm-a-good-student face. "Actually, sir, I have a favor to ask..."

After my long speech, he still looked unconvinced. He gazed at me with scrutiny, narrowing his beady eyes at me. I clenched my fist, tempted to punch him because his face was just so annoying when Zoe finally stepped in.

"Please, sir," she pleaded, batting her lashes. Mr. Florence softened. "She really needs that favor."

She looked back at me and shot me a pointed glance. As if on cue, fake tears welled up in my eyes. As a tear dropped, Mr. Florence sighed in defeat, shaking his head at our shenanigans.

"Fine," he agreed gruffly. "I'll do it."

I wiped my tear away and squealed with Zoe. "Thank you so much, sir!"

Before he could see through our act, Zoe grabbed my hand and we ran away. We burst out laughing once we were far enough, still in disbelief that he fell for our terrible acting skills.

"If that's all we need to do for teachers to follow us, I would have done that a long time ago to boost my grades up." Zoe sighed dramatically in regret.

"I doubt they'd do that," I pursed my lips. "I remember when we were in ninth grade, a girl actually begged for Mr. Florence to give her something to do for extra credit so that she could pass, but he still refused."

"That's evil," she wrinkled her nose. "Anyway, will you be okay by yourself? I promised Nico I'd play Brawl Stars with him."

I waved her off, shooing her away. "Yeah, go ahead. I'll be fine."

She kissed my cheek before skipping away. Shaking my head at her whipped self, I proceeded to go to my locker when someone grabbed me by my collar and pushed me to the wall.

"A-Aly?" I winced as she tightened her hold on my collar. Even though she was shorter than me, she managed to carry me upwards, my feet dangling below me. Her teeth were bared at me and for the first time, I saw the Aly people were terrified of.