5. Family

A/N : I am really amazed by the response for this story. A heartfelt thanks to all my readers and those comments are precious.

------------------------
Britain institute of mental health
-----------------------

Counsellor Alba was arranging the pages of case history of Shriya looking at her dejected face.

A: Miss Shetty things are only going worse. The last time I saw you you were better. Now the test shows contrast results. If this continues I will have to inject drugs to cure your depression relapse.

S: I don't know anything. Why are we doing this? Do I want to live? I doubt it. I don't have anything to look forward to in my life ma'am.

A: Don't ever say that dear. I told you in all counselling sessions that hope is the essence of life.

S: I don't have anybody with me. My parents have left me six years ago during my tenth grade. I am alone in this world. My son was 2 minutes old when I lost him. Why should I live?

A: I know that dear. But you should live for yourself. For the sake of your profession.

S: How long should I run away from myself hiding behind the curtains of profession?

A: Miss Shetty! I have a solution. One last time listen to me. We will try this without injecting drugs. Don't run away but face everything you left behind. Let's revisit your past in detail. I am sure you will find the purpose of your life. It's too precious. Don't ever demean it.

S: I don't have any energy left Alba. Please leave me.

A: I can't dear. Please try this. I won't take much of your time. Please!

Shriya agreed half heartedly as she cannot disrespect her doctor who has stood by her for last three years.

----------------------------------
After the basket ball match
Shriya's home
Bangalore
-----------------------------------

The wind chime was dangling due to heavy breeze. It was the month of June and schools have just begun.

Shriya is back home after a tiring sports day at school.

S: Amma! I am dead hungry and your son has eaten away my last piece of dahi wada.

She shouted on top of her voice from the fridge.

Revathi (Shriya's mom):

R: Shut up Sweety! Stop shouting! What if neighbours will listen

R: Shut up Sweety! Stop shouting! What if neighbours will listen. They will cast their evil eye on my baby boy.

S: He is not a baby. He is an elephant. No ! No! A mammoth who has the capacity to eat the food of an entire country at a time like Bakasura...

R: Sweety! My baby don't say such things. I will cook something for you. I wonder when will this girl learn to behave like normal girls. Always shouting on top of her voice. Playing basket ball with useless boys. Jumping from compound walls and eating Pani Puri on roads.