Chapter 3

May 25, 2019

I woke up on my bed with nothing in my mind. All was blank as though I had just born today. A face of a woman in front of me was nothing to be recognized. Though the glint of her eyes told me how melancholic she was, I ignored the idea to give a care for her. I didn’t even know her name. Name. What was my name?

The bright shaft of the sun tried to get in through the window on my side. The flying herons were in their tranquil moments. However, the sky was in dull and gray—clouds were all over and roiling in. Why could I recognize those things while my name was hard to remember. Even the woman in my side, the glint of fear and sorrow was engulfed all over her eyes.

Unaware, I grasped tightly on the sheet that veiled my lower extremities. Bakit wala akong matandaan na kahit ano? Even my name I couldn’t remember. My mind was like a blank sheet of paper— nothing had been scrawled. My brain was like a jar having no cost at all. All I could remember was the things and persons I had seen over the last two minutes.

“Alexis,” the woman uttered in almost cracking voice.

She ambled to my part and in ample time, I saw a sparkle of love of a mother. But when she was about to hold my hand, I eluded it away from her. My action made her fazed. She was shocked for a fleeting moment before coercing a genuine smile to etch across her face.

“What’s wrong, anak?” she said with a quavering tone.

“Who are you?”

Nanlaki ang kaniyang mga mata. She receded a bit before her mouth parted over the word I had uttered. The expression of her face told me that she was hurt. I bit my lower lip as I tried to remember a thing from my past but the only person… or a name that I can remember was Ariellè. That was a name of a lovely woman but why couldn’t I remember her visage? I knew to myself that she was beautiful yet her face was unconceivable.

Ariellè.

Who was that woman?

I almost shoved her hand out of my skin when the woman clutched my wrist. I looked at her with palpable perplexity. She swallowed hardly as her eyes were glassy while looking directly into my eyes. She was as though diving in through the depth of the mysteries that lay within me— The sea chest where all my memories lie within. The urge to help the woman skyrocketed but I didn’t know how. My mind was haywire— something was really off and I didn’t know when will it get back to its normalcy.

“Alexis, I am your m-mother.” The woman quivered.

“I… I don’t remember anything even my name.” I said. My voice was desperate as though begging them to say anything that will fill the empty part of myself.

Her eyes widened. She fished her cellphone into her pocket and dialed a number. She was trembling however, her eyes were still fixated on me. When she put her phone on her ear, she looked constipated or something. Who was she calling? Would that person help me get through this fiasco in my life. This  chasm of debacle was stirring my life and turning all the things upside-down.

“Hello, Achilles?” she paused, “Yes… there’s something strange happening to Alexis. H-he doesn’t remember anything either his name.”

After that, she ended up the call. I was still in my perplexed state. Only the humming of wind and the imaginary sound of the crickets giving life to the void that I felt. Something was empty. I didn’t know if I had felt this before but something was missing, something essential to my life was missing and I couldn’t do anything or think any possible clue to crack the code of the door to fulfillment. Silence stretched in every corner as the shadow of the wall diminished, either the large bar of sunlight that was giving the little glint of enthusiasm in the room.