Chapter 24

My eyes were fixated outside the window. The flashing of objects was almost a blink of an eye because of the speed of our car. My fingers were absently tapping my legs as my heart was aggressively ravaging my ribcage. The cloth of sadness has been wrapped around my chest as I pondered how Ariellè struggled to survive each passing day. Her condition was no joke; it was fatal and might cause her in a severe condition if this weren't taken seriously. The 9AM light of the sun was strikingly painful as the window beside me opened. It was my choice though. I wanted to feel the cold breeze of September. Growls, beeps, screeches, and drowned yells were engulfing my ears but a minute after, I was again drowned in my own chasm of thoughts.

My heart was heavy as I glimpsed at my phone. Her good morning message was never followed by another message. My inbox had been flooded with messages from my ex flings and other schoolmates but I didn't care at all. The woman I was waiting to appear on my inbox was in their house, probably doing her best to survive life. Before, all I thought was myself. I almost blamed Him for giving me this kind of illness. But the imaginary montage of Ariellè—struggling to survive made me hate myself. I shirked to act normal in front of her because I knew to myself that what I was doing right now wasn't the way I should act. However, I couldn't help myself but to feel more thoughtful and careful about Ariellè. Her illness seemed newfangled, I couldn't understand it at all—I did understand but I couldn't accept it. I couldn't accept that Ariellè had this kind of illness.

Parker knew all these things. He knew that Ariellè had this kind of heart disease and I was here, doing nothing but to bug  Ariellè everything. I didn't even know if I annoyed her every time I call her to come in the hospital to visit me. I wasn't entirely oblivious about her condition, I suspected something before; I tried to gather information but she was subtle and reticent about it. I heaved a sigh as I tried to close my eyes. The emotions in my chest were mixed and undefinable.

Stuffing my phone in my pocket, I focused my attention back to the streets we were passing by. The silence that manifested inside the car intensified as my heart skipped a beat when I saw that we were nearing Taguig. My fingers formed a ball—I could feel my fingers exuding moist due to my amplified emotions. I didn't know what would I say to Ariellè once I was there. I needed to compose myself and concoct something to make it as though I hadn't found out her secret. I suddenly wondered, would she hate me if she finds out that I already knew her condition? Will she push me away? I bit my lower lip while I closed my eyes. I swore a curse under my breath and then opened my eyes.

The car slowly halted in front of a two story house styled with American setup. The front porch was empty, only the round wooden table and two left muds on the top of it. The garage was open, seemed the car was used. In front of the porch, one meter away from the side of the steps was a lawn and besides it were some flowers that freshly sprinkled. I mustered all the valor I had and pushed the button to make the doorbell blaze. I took my phone out of my pocket and dialed Ariellè's number while waiting for someone to open the gate. I didn't know if there was someone left in their house. If her parents were out, Ariellè must be with them. However, my thought had been dismissed when Ariellè answered the call. Kasabay no'n ay ang pagbukas ng pinto.

Ariellè went out of their house. She was wearing a white loose jacket, almost covering their shorts. Her hair was messily twisted to bun and her morning face was absolutely the cutest thing I had ever seen. A smile flashed across my face as my eyes fixated on her lovely and adorable visage. I was pulled out of my reverie when I heard her repeated 'hellos'.

"Alexis—wait, is that you who are standing in front of our gate?" she asked once her eyes settled on me.

"Yes,"

"What are you doing here?" she asked, she almost ran our distance.

My smile immediately disappeared when I remembered why I was here.