Chapter 18

"What should I do next?" I asked myself when I forgot what I supposed to do.

I was standing next to the door when the newly restored memory of mine had faded and I was left in here like a kitten which didn't know who or what to follow. And after one sway of the clock, I forgot what had happened this day. What they had told and what should I do for the following hours. My feet trembled as I stared at the digital clock on my wall. The slow turning of seconds became excruciating as I tried to dig the depth of my mind—mayhap, just mayhap, I could pull back the memories that faded in just a matter of seconds.

One thing popped on my head and instantly looked at my notebook where I scrawled all the things I did this morning but in just a blink of an eye, I forgot the role of that notebook in my life—the essence of it abated through the squared hallway where the end was a gleaming light. I closed my eyes as I groaned, I hunched a bit and grasped tightly on my hair. I wanted to whack myself—my head just so my memories would be unlatched from the rope that pulled them away from my system. One sharp stab on my head made me screaming, I almost toppled on the floor. But that wasn't my concern now. My memories were like written on papers wherein they were slowly turning into ashes as it burnt the edges and the fire was slowly eating them whole.

"A-Ariellè… No!" I screamed in agony as I thought of that name of a certain girl and felt the sting at the side of my eyes. "Ariellè…"

Tears formed at the side of my eyes as they rolled down to my chin. Pain on my head was nothing compared to the wedged metal stabbed on my chest as I frantically screamed that name of a girl. I was like coercing myself to pull the string of that particular memories with that girl. The string was almost caught by my hand but it became faster and higher. The fluid of pain spread through me as I wailed her name. Who was that woman? Ariellè? Who was she? Was she important to my life?

The pain that perched on my chest and on my head made me drain the remaining energy I had. Involuntarily, my knees folded as it fell down on the cold tiled floor of this room. My hair dangled in front of my face as I bowed my head—feeling the emptiness of my life. The jar that should be filled with memories—whether they were good or bad, was now empty. My palm fisted as I pressed it on the floor. The tears that formed when I screamed a name of a girl strewed on the floor, almost reaching my hand.

"Why am I crying?" I asked myself as I looked around, "Where am I?"

Slowly, I rose and looked around. This was certainly a hospital. Why was I here? I checked myself and wrinkled my forehead when I realized that I was perfectly fine. But why I was on the floor awhile? I wiped the drenched part on my cheeks where the tears rolled through and heaved a sigh. I lunged to the bed just steps away from me and slumped on it. A series of heavy breath was very audible. I craned my neck to look at the panorama of the city through the glass wall, dusk started to roll over as the sun stared to descend on the horizon, the yellow-orange light painted the strayed clouds on the sky.

A click from the door made me recoil and my attention was directed to it. When it slowly opened, I was anticipating for someone who could explain why I was here. A woman who was in her late forties peeked through the small space of the door and the wall. The woman smiled sweetly at me and when she saw me sitting on the bed, she ambled to my part.

A doctor, I whispered when I saw that she was wearing a laboratory gown. Her hair was tucked in a bun and was as shiny as the newly smoothened shoes. What bothered me was her stare at me. My eyes were casting a definite perplexity as she wheeled toward me.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"I'm fine." I retorted, "Why am I here?"

Her eyes widened but as immediately as the clock struck to the six of afternoon, she cleared her throat and looked at the bedside table. She lunged to that part and reached for the notebook that was situated next to the basket of assorted fruits. She glanced at me, but the confusion on my face was reached the peak that nothing would make me understand what was happening. All I could remember was… nothing.