Chapter 7

There was a certain point of our lives that we could experience the things we did not expect— or even though it will happen. Just like how I spent my remaining hours of that day before I fall asleep. Ariellè was not that typical teenager who was active in her social media accounts. She seldom post and her wall had been filled with shared post about miracles and phrases from the Bible. Her profile picture, I assumed, was taken years ago as though she had no idea on how to change it. She was mysterious indeed. Each of her posts, I clicked to see the comments. That was a very stupid exploit because every time I saw guys trying to befriend with her, I felt the gnawing irritation on the pit of my stomach and I just found myself stalking the prick. I honestly need to get a grip on this, I almost sent a message— a threat— to that guy.

I was up early due to the loud thuds coming from the door of my room. I groaned out of frustration and I almost punched off myself because I had locked the door. I forgot that I was in the hospital. I leapt out of my bed and trudged toward the door to open it. A nurse went in just to check on me so after which, she emerged from the room and I went back to my bed.

Looking at the digital clock, I had seen that it was still five in the morning. The last thing I remember was I fell asleep 20 minutes before 1 AM. I suddenly wondered if Ariellè was already awake? Tumayo ako at tinignan ang bintana. The  shade of red and orange had been cast on the sky. I leapt  out of my bed and trudged toward the panorama of the city. Killing the time when you were eager to see someone was no joke. I couldn’t even calm every vein beneath my skin.

Was she going to visit me?  I wondered for the nth time and this was the only sentence that was playing around my head. It felt like my chest had an acid that was incinerating my heart. I shirked to stay still and wait for the uncertainty to materialize and I briskly dashed out of my room. If she weren’t going to visit me, I will visit her in her room. I couldn’t see any wrong about visiting her, though, so why did I halt last night? I should have just asked a nurse in the information area where Ariellè was confined.

While I was walking on the hallway, some eyes of the nurses, patients, and visitors were directed to me. I ignored the attention they were giving me so I could immediately go to the Information Area. I wanted to explain  to Ariellè about what she had seen. There was nothing about it. Yes, Jillianne was my girlfriend and my mind had already decided. Honestly, I couldn’t sleep well yesterday. All I had thought was Ariellè who was, I was uncertain about this, mad at me. I knew it was a dangerous assumption but I wanted to feed myself with delusional fantasies than to cage on the closed room of reality that could hurt me to the deepest cut.

This hospital gown had begun to wear on my sense of fashion. As time started to sway, the day by day used of it had accustomed me to get used to every thing that existed on the hospital— including this weird hospital gown. While I was making a beeline toward the elevator, I couldn’t help but to think about how did I badly need to be out of this hospital, or asylum to my own term. I knew it wasn’t an asylum but it was what I wanted to call it  just to vex my full of self kind of a Father. But thinking about it, if they had granted my request— to just stay in my room in our house than to spend most of my life years inside that all white humdrum four corner room, I would not have give the  chance to have a sight and hear her wonderful stories and felt the warmth of her admirable personality. It was a blessing in disguise, I thought as I turned toward the elevator.

I’d never been this tensed towards a girl in my entire life. I was cool when it comes to handling girls. They were easy to deal with but right now, I was preoccupied with immense number of what ifs. I didn’t want to think about the inimical possibilities because it might haul my mind to the sixes and sevens. However, the pace of determination within me had come to halt when I saw Ariellè walking along the hallway toward the rooftop. I felt the gnawing impotence beneath my chest when she glanced up at me but she just ignored me like a wind and ambled straight to the rooftop. My heart clenched as I saw her walk away from me.