Chapter 30

You are now at the last chapter before the Epilogue. Thank you for being with me while I was writing this story.

Enjoy reading!

🥀

Chapter 30

Every word I utter was pleadingly desperate for His miracle to happen right now. I was never a believer of His power, even when I had this stupid illness, I had never talked to him. Ngayon lang. This was the first time I talked to Him, begging Him to grant my request. I was willing to trade all the things I had— even my life, I will trade just so Ariellè could live longer because she deserved it.

The silence that engulfed around me when I was facing Him was giving an odd feeling to my skin that made my bristle to stand. On bended knees, I spitted out all the painful and pleading words that lodged on my chest. The tears welled up on my eyes, it was hard to compel to cry especially that my heart was about to explode due to the sadness that perched on my chest. I didn't even know how long I'd been there.

"Alexis, you need to be strong," Mom uttered.

"How was she?"

She lowered her head, seemed like she was afraid to tell me the truth.

"Mom," I called, my voice was cracking.

"Son, A-ariellè is now in critical condition. T-there is a chance that we'll lose h-her now."

"Why are you saying that?!" I shouted at her. Tito Achilles immediately went to stop me from yelling out my frustration, "You are a doctor! Why are you saying that we might lose her? You have studied about this! You must not lose hope! You need to fight for the life of your patient! Why are you saying that?! You should have not taken that profession if you are that weak—"

"Alexis, you are talking to your mother!" Tito Achilles interrupted my painful tirade.

I closed my eyes and punched the wall. The shriek of my Mother reverberated the entire room. I didn't care. I felt nothing right now.

After that, I went to the rooftop, feeling the frigid blow of 3 a.m. breeze. The skyscrapers in front of me were all dimmed, only the glinting faint lights from afar. The stars awhile had been blocked by the dark clouds, making the darkness reign in the entire universe. How funny it may seem that the sky mirrored what my heart right now— it was void, nothing... just nothing. There was an emptiness that filled my chest while I was looking at the starless firmament. Lifting my head, I closed tightly my eyes as the beads of tear rolled from my eyes. My chest seemed empty, there was nothing I feel right now.

It felt like my chest turned numb.

What was happening was all grisly, it seemed like this was just on books or dramas. But then, books were different. There was a chance that the author would have a mercy and change the destiny of that person in pain. Right now, I was hoping helplessly, clutching tightly to the crumb of chance that she can survive this. She needed to survive, she needed to fight for her family... for the people that treasured her... for me.

As my eyes closed, the morphs of our memories flashed rapidly on my head. Every detail of our shared memories flashed in a short span of time. I cannot coerce myself to think of the brighter side, I was weak, there was a strong force pulling me and drowning me to the ocean of melancholy and helplessness. With my very best, I had tried to pull and pull, to reach the bright light glinting on the top surface of the water. My chest was constricting as I tried hardly to go beyond that surface but I was helpless, I was trapped and unable to save my own self.