Chapter 23

There was an excruciating amount of pain that lodged on my chest while looking on the screen. There was no green dot beside Ariellè's name and I was wondering what was taking her so long to go online. The golden bar of light that cut through the window bathed the room with radiance of amber light. Hours had passed since I woke up and I had noticed all these natural changes in every second. It was seven in the morning. It was a cloudless day and the panorama outside was embraced with solemnity and peacefulness. Pigeons were flying across the skyscrapers and I couldn't help but to envy the freedom they were holding.

One hour ago, a nurse came and made me swallow an unfamiliar medicine. It was okay, though. There was bad happened to me. I think it was better than the memantine that I was eating since then. My eyes travelled around the corner of my room. The montage of my shared memories with Ariellè raided my mind. My arranged thoughts came into chaos when the sudden creak of the door reverberated in my room. I looked at the person who caused the annoying sound and I almost threw my pillows to Andrei who looked spruce with his blue button down shirt and a dark short.

"Hey, dude," he called as he wheeled toward my sofa.

"What brought you here? Are you alone?"

He looked at me as if I was talking nonsense, "Bawal na bang bisitahin ka? And yes, mag-isa lang ako."

Andrei heaved a sigh. I suddenly fell into silence when I felt the emitting seriousness on his tone. He looked at me with nothing but silence as though he was trying to summon something. My eyes dived into the void of his eyes but I found nothing. I knew that there was a reason why he brought himself here. The void of his eyes was enough to justify my conclusion. He might not as observant as Jake or talkative as George but when he found out something, it must be something important. Andrei wasn't like someone who pays attention to some nonsense things. That was the reason why I was feeling something off.

"You looked bothered," I said as I looked outside the glass-wall.

The intensified calmness of the vicinity was making me nervous. There was a strong force that was coercing my head to look at Andrei but I fought the urge to do so. I was afraid of what he might utter next. The unfathomable expression he was projecting was giving me a raw feeling- a feeling that I had never felt before. I was afraid.

"I found something." The seriousness of his voice made my heart clench.

My neck craned to look at him, "What is it?"

He heaved a sigh and diverted his attention to the panorama  of skyscrapers bathed with golden light from the seven-thirty light of the sun. His face was dark as he started blankly to the skyscrapers.

"Alam mo na ba ang sakit ni Ariellè?"

My heartbeats intensified as I heard Ariellè's name.

"What's with her condition? I know she has an illness before but it was already cured. Kaya nga wala na siya dito, hindi ba?"

"Who told you she was cured?" Andrei looked at me.

"What are you talking about?"

He shrugged, "She hasn't told you yet, huh?"

"Damn, man, what is it? What did you find out?"

He heaved a sigh again and looked at me with nothing but darkness. I looked so ridiculous right now. I looked so desperate for begging for information that, I , myself hadn't figured out. I was the one who was with Ariellè and yet I hadn't had the time to figure out what was happening on her. Yes, I respected her decision of keeping her secrets from me but to know that it was Andrei who first found out what was her illness was making me feel disappointed of myself.