Chapter 12

The next morning, Ariellè was already in my room. She wasn’t wearing any fancy clothes—just like what she had said yesterday. She was only wearing a green knitted long sleeved shirt and nothing more but the hospital gown.  Yesterday, I thought bringing up the topic about her ex would ruin the day but I was wrong. Ariellè just found a topic that could elude us from discussing about that asshat. However, I would love to hear her disparage that man. I wasn’t certain if she really got over her ex. Yes, she was telling that she really was but the actions she did suggested otherwise.

Monday morning, the wet season was still on. The people accumulated the temperature as they usually wore a jackets or long sleeved shirts. Looking at Ariellè who moved the chair beside the glass-wall, overseeing the vast land of skyscrapers, her body was filled with solemn dimness as the light inside the room was turned off. Her silhouette was giving me the urge to take a picture of her. She seemed peaceful with the manmade art she was looking right in front of her.

I didn’t know exactly what was she was thinking. I didn’t want to be a nosy friend that will pique her soon as my question got on and on and on especially right now that I had plenty of queries that were poking on my bubble of curiosity. The book she was reading awhile was placed on her lap whilst her head was craned to stare at the panorama of the City. The thought of watching her all day made me enthusiastic—it was actually eerie feeling because I had never been this satisfied by just staring a woman with pacifying expression.

Last night, she went to her room late. We didn’t watch or played UNO cards, we just talked about some random stuff. Our talk was about unimportant things but it really made me contented and happy. A talk with someone you like was a talk you never wanted to end.  After our talk, she went to her room. As usual, she did not let me accompany her to her room, so I called a nurse to do the work. But when I was already alone in my room, it was inevitable of me to deem about her—all about her.

Heaving a sigh, I closed my eyes before I rose from bed and leapt out of it. My movement riveted her attention. She glimpsed at me and a faint smile flashed on her lips. After that little interaction of our eyes, she averted her gaze and looked back to the view she left just to take a peek of me. Without noticing it, the side of my lips were tucked upward as I lunged to her part.

“Ang ganda dito sa room mo. Nakakarelax.”

“You can stay here whole day,”

She smirked, “Maybe I will just spend my time here until next week?”

My forehead crumpled, “Huh?”

“My doctor gave me a permission to go home.”

It was a good news, right? But why I was feeling a sudden shred of my chest? Bittersweet. I was happy to see her out of this building but a part of me fell to the room of melancholy.  Once she’ll go home, there will be a possibility that she’ll forget me; that she’ll never visit me here. She’ll live in the normalcy given by the world outside this building. What would be my life here without her? It won’t he as the same as before. Damn it, Alexis, why don’t you just be happy with the news?

She cleared her throat and averted her gaze, “Well, hindi pa naman ‘yun sigurado. Malay mo may mangyari na naman para hindi ako makalabas,”

She giggled. I shook my head and tried to show a smile.

“Don’t be pessimistic. Mabuti nga ‘yon para makalabas ka na. You’ll continue your study?” I asked, trying so hard not to waver.

She smiled, “I will miss you,”

My heart hammered my chest as I kept my eyes on her. I will miss her for sure—that was inevitable but I needed to show my support on her. She was going home so I should not act as though I was in pain. I tried to smile genuinely but failed for the second time. It wasn’t really easy to smile when your heart was in the brink of loneliness.