Chapter Seven

"STRAIGHTEN THOSE SPINES, PISS-HEADS!"

Under the hot sun, a platoon of newly enlisted cadets stood with theirs legs slightly apart, and their hands at their back, ready for the hell they were going to face. And welcoming them was none other than the former Commander of the Survey Corps, Commander Shadis.

"THE 104TH CADETS BOOT CAMP STARTS NOW! I'M COMMANDER KIETH SHADIS AND YOU WILL GROW TO HATE ME! TRAINING IS GOING TO BE LIKE WHITE-KNUCKLE UP THROUGH HELL! IF I'VE DONE MY JOB, YOU'LL BE WAKING WITH COLD SWEAT OF MEMORIES OF THIS PLACE AT NIGHT FOR THE REST OF YOUR MISSERABLE LIVES!"

Iris, who stood beside Mikasa; and at her other side was Leon, who was trying his best to hide how intimidated he was of the Commander. But unlike Leon, Iris simply stood there unfazed. This was nothing to her, she's handled men more intimidating than him. Besides, she has been through hell.

How bad could this be? She thought.

"RIGHT NOW, YOU'RE NOTHING! LIVESTOCK! BUT OVER THE NEXT THREE-SOUL-CRUSHING YEARS, YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO TAKE DOWN YOUR OWN GOLIATH! SO, REMEMBER THIS MOMENT WHEN YOU COME FACE-TO-FACE WITH HIM!"

If that's what you think, I don't give a damn.

Iris balled her hands to a fist, remembering her father's words ticked her off.

"BECAUSE HERE IS WHERE YOU ASK YOURSELF, AM I A FIGHTER OR AM I FEED?"

If finally stop acting like a brat, then we'll talk... those were his words to her when she was little, when she asked him why he was never home.

Maybe you're right, joining the Scouts might just be some kind of excuse... Iris thought. But it doesn't matter, because you're right... this is something bigger than us... I'm not doing this for you. She told herself. I'm doing this for me and for Mom!

The interrogation began, and Shadis randomly picked Cadets in each row on who to question first. His technique was good – Iris admitted, and she was sure that one of the Cadets even pissed themselves when he faced them.

"Hey, is he looking at you?" Leon whispered at Iris.

Iris didn't reply, rather, she just looked at Shadis and found him walking towards her. She wasn't surprised that he took interest on her when he came to their row, he knew her, back when Levi took her to the Survey Corps. She wasn't a huge fan nor was she scared of the former Scout Commander, and she wasn't going to pretend that she was just to suck up to him.

"I know you." Shadis said in a whisper that only she could hear, and glared down at her. "STATE YOUR NAME AND WHERE YOU CAME FROM, CADET!" he yelled.

Placing her fist on her chest, Iris yelled back.

"SIR, IRIS REED FROM REGALADO – SOUTH-WEST OF WALL ROSE, SIR!"

Shadis smirked. "I said, your name and where you came from."

They don't need to know, you fucking bastard.

Iris glared at him. "IRIS REED FROM THE UNDERGROUND, SIR!"

Eyes were at her. If they weren't so scared of the Commander, Iris was sure that the Cadets would be whispering about her. She didn't want to make a scene and just blend with the other Cadets, but now, she was the very subject of gossip.

"Tell me, Cadet Reed, why are you here?" Shadis questioned her.

And don't give that crap about obliterating the Titans, I've heard that shit over and over from the new recruits, and I'm getting tired of it.