Chapter Fifty-Three

Sitting on the rocky shores of the beach, Armin held a shell, caressing its surface, he will always find the shells to be amazing, and their beauty will never seize to amaze him. While he sat quietly, looking at the horizon of the ocean, he would steal glances at the fishing rod that was placed between the two stones that would keep it upright. Not long, the rod started to move, a sign that it finally caught a fish. He was about to get up and take the rod, but he was beaten to it when Iris came. She took the rod and started to pull, there was a struggle as she tried to get the fish, but eventually she got the fish. It was a big catch.

After putting the fish in the bucket – along with the rest of her catch – she called for Leon to collect the bucket and start cooking their dinner while she continues with her fishing. She put a new bait at the end of the line and with a powerful swing, her line went a good distance.

"Don't you think that's enough?" Armin asked.

"You forget, Sasha's with us." Iris said, smirking.

Armin chuckled.

"So, how's look out?" Iris asked.

"Just waiting." Armin shrugged. "It's been a week since the last Marley ship came... how many more are they going to send to Paradis Island? How many more lives are they going to throw?"

"They don't care... since most of the soldiers being sent are Eldians..."

There was a pregnant silence between them, until Iris spoke again.

"I heard that the 105th Cadet Corps' training are starting."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but they're not going to focus on Titan killing skills since there are no Titans on this island." Iris shrugged.

Armin nodded.

"Things are different now, huh." Armin said.

Iris nodded.

"I even heard news that there are kids from the farm, who were old enough, joined the Cadets..."

Armin saw Iris' down casted eyes, knew that there was more news to that.

"Is there anything more?" He asked.

"Firo joined as well..." Iris took out a letter from her breast-pocket. "He was the one who wrote about it... said that he wanted to try out again with the Cadets... and this time, he will go through the whole training."

"Oh." Armin said. He didn't know what to say or feel about it. He wasn't close to Firo, but based from what he saw in Iris' reaction, she was happy about it.

"THERE'S A SHIP APPROACHING!" Sasha called out from her post.

Iris and Armin stood from their seat to see it. And just like what Sasha said, a ship was spotted coming towards their shore. Iris and Armin turned to each other and then went to join the others.

"Captain!" Iris called as she and Armin landed on the sand.

"It's just one ship." Levi said. "Just like the other times... Hange."

Hange came to them with Eren, and Leon tailing behind them.

"One Titan would be enough to handle the ship..." Hange said. "But, we need to have precaution, we're not sure if they brought a Titan with them..." She turned to Iris. "Iris, you will be Eren's back up."

"Yes, Commander." Iris said.

After doing a salute, Iris and Eren left and went to the shoreline. Hange then turned to Leon and Levi.