Chapter Sixty-Nine

"So, Eren's dead."

Still on bed rest, Levi forced Hange and the others to tell him what happened to the battle, the treaty, and the whole month he was in his comatose state, he wanted to be updated in everything so when he gets out of the medical bay, he wasn't prepared. Iris insisted that he didn't need to rush and just focus on getting better, though he knew his daughter meant well, he still insisted to be told everything, besides, those times were the most crucial for Marley, and the Eldians at Marley, and Paradis Island.

"Yes." Armin said, his eyes down-casting to the ground, like everyone in the room.

"Eren was beheaded by Gabi with a riffle's bullet... but Zeke was able to catch his head just before he was completely gone." Iris said, retelling the whole event. "Eren only used Zeke to get to the Coordinate – so we could both get there. And from there, he gave me the power of the Founding Titan to end everything."

There was silence in the room. Levi didn't know what to feel, a part of him was distraught that after everything they did, after all the lives that were sacrificed, Eren died. But, his death saved Iris and it gave her the power to stop the war. Was it wrong to be relieved that Eren gave his life for Iris?

"So, there are no more Titans..." Levi muttered.

"That's right." Hange said.

Levi turned to Iris, who sat on the chair beside his bed.

"But for you." He told her. "Does that mean... you still have the Curse?"

"Yes." Iris said.

Levi's hands balled to a fist, blood seeped at his bandages, alarming everyone in the room. Iris leaned over and placed her hand on his. Levi turned to her, and his eyes widened in shock when he saw her smiling.

"It's alright, Papa." Iris said. "Everything's going to be alright..."

"Can't that Founder do anything about it? Can't you make her do anything about it" Levi muttered.

Iris chuckled.

"The Founder Ymir can do anything... but the Curse of Ymir will always be a part of the Titans." Iris said.

"Did you at least try?" Levi pressed on, causing Iris to laugh. "What are you laughing about, brat?"

"With little time I have left... I decided to not mope about it or complain on how unfair it is and just live the last few years I have left..."

Levi bowed his head to hide his face, he closed his eyes to stop the tears from for falling. Iris felt her father trembling, she got up from her seat and went to sit on his bed, she then took something from her pants pocket and held out her open palm to show the object to her father.

"You're lucky that it didn't get lost from the blast." Iris said.

Levi stared at the Titan Crystal necklace in Iris' hand, it was the necklace that Maria left him, but unlike before where it shone in the light, it was covered with blood in the middle of the carvings that made the details of the feather.

"Maria..." Levi said in a whisper.

"I tried to clean it, but I couldn't get rid of the blood." Iris said.

Levi hummed; his lips etched to a small smile. He remembered when he was swimming in those memories, he saw the times that Iris cleaned the whole house just so he could stay longer. All she wanted was for him to notice and say,

"I appreciate it, Iris."

Iris' eyes widened in shock. He wasn't disgusted with how dirty it was? Levi took the necklace from Iris and placed it around his neck, the feather rested on his chest, and once again, he felt the warmth of Maria.