Chapter Sixty-Four

Silence came to the cell as Yelena finished her explanation. The whole time, Leon felt cold, fear. Each word that came from Yelena's lips had him crumbling, he felt like that scared cadet four years ago when Trost was breached.

"Children will no longer be born?" Armin asked.

"That's right." Yelena said. "The aim is to rid the world of the suffering resulting from the existence of Titans. Slowly and peacefully."

"No, wait. How is that peaceful?" Jean asked. "If the Subjects of Ymir disappear, the population keeps decreasing. In its final years the only survivors in the country would be feeble old people, right? How can we protect the country in a situation like that? You think the other countries will just leave us alone?!"

"As for that, it's going to be exactly like it's been up until now. For us to be able to use the Rumbling as a deterrent. It will be essential to maintain the succession of the Founder and the Royal family. Luckily, Queen Historia has been blessed with a successor. If that child has lived out the rest of their days, several Subjects of Ymir inhering the Founding Titan..."

"Then everything will be perfect, is what you're trying to say?" Jean asked.

"Perfection, absoluteness... each and every country carries their own distinct problems... however, one thing is for certain. The enormous threat that Titans represent. The history of blood and tears. The people who can put an end to id all do exist... Zeke and Eren... I do not know how many more thousands of years human history will keep going. But will the people who can accomplish such a great feat appear after that, I wonder? The two brothers will become symbols who will be passed down for the next millennia. Just like the gods of ancient times. And then even after death, the two of them will become the sun that shines on humanity as their saviors."

A sob escaped Leon's lips. They all turned to him and saw him wipe away the tears that fell from his eye.

"What's wrong?" Yelene asked.

"My child... my unborn child..." Leon cried. "Sofia... my wife... I haven't even seen them since we left for Marley... and now..."

Silence came to them, Connie and Jean turned to Leon with shock, they didn't know that Sofia was expecting. They didn't know Leon was going to be a father.

"We will be saving your child from such suffering. It is the greatest gift you could give them as a father, a life without suffering –"

"WHAT LIFE?!" Leon yelled. "WHAT LIFE IS THERE IF YOU'RE GOING TO TAKE HIM FORM ME EVEN BEFORE HE'S BORN!"

"You'll soon understand." Yelena said.

"YELENA! COME IMMEDIATELY, PLEASE! THERE'S AN INTRUDER!"

~*~

There was rumbling from above, dust and grains of stone fell from the ceiling. Iris looked up as the familiar shaking happened again. She turned to the window and saw debris fall.

"The Titans have started to move..." Iris said in a whisper.

"LISTEN TO ME!" Firo grabbed Iris by her face, and made her face him. "UNTIL NOW YOU DON'T CARE! ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS YOURSELF!"

Iris slowly wrapped the chain around her first. She glanced back at the window and saw the battle unfold, the Jaw Titan, the Cart Titan were fighting Eren's Founding Titan. It was chaos. She turned back to Firo, who was too far gone for her to save.

"GO AHEAD, TRANSFORM INTO A TITAN AND KILL ME! KILL EVERYONE IN THIS BUILDING!" Firo yelled.

"You listen to me." Iris spoke. "Outside Titans are fighting, if I don't go there and stop this everything will be nothing – everyone will die!"