Chapter Eight

Iris woke at the sound of the bells. Jumping down from the top bunk, she got in her Cadets uniform (the usual cadet uniform and her red shirt). After getting in her boots, Iris ran out of the cabin with Mikasa and went to the field and went to their platoon. She stood at the front with Mikasa beside her, and at her other side Krista Lenz, with her back straight, hands at her back, and her eyes wide awake, but the bags under them gave away that she would still like to sleep.

"GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES AND FALL IN!" Shadis yelled.

It's too early... Iris thought. She hated that she was at the front, since she was one of the first few cadets would get the whole volume of Shadis' yelling. When everyone was at the platoon, Shadis had them start with their usual morning training: crunches, push-ups, squats, and then he had them run laps. It was another regular morning for the cadets.

~*~

Iris frowned as she stared down at the dummy knife that was given to her by one of their officers for their hand-to-hand combat. She wasn't ecstatic to be using a dummy knife, knowing that her real one was still with her father, which she was sure that he threw away after taking it from her.

"I still don't understand why we need to do this." Leon yawned as he took his stance as the defender, as Iris was the rogue. "Let's just do this... we're not even being graded at it..."

Before he even saw it, Iris came at him with her knife with a stabbing motion.

"HEY!"

Leon was about to grab Iris' hand that held the knife, but Iris anticipated his move, dropped the knife and grabbed it with her other hand, tackled him down and hand the knife at his face.

"You were saying?" Iris said. She got off of Leon and stood up, not bothering to help him up. "You can't just expect Titans to be our only enemies... there comes a time that we have to fight humans to."

"Well, that's dark." Leon said.

"It's the truth..." Iris said.

Leon saw the look in her eyes and remembered that night when Iris came back home, covered in blood, with his mother. It was the night when his mother was almost raped, but Iris saved her by killing the man with a rock – brick.

"Right..." Leon muttered.

"Listen, it's always best to be ready..."

"Maybe I should've asked you to teach me more about these things, huh?"

Iris smirked. "You know the basics, and that's good enough, you just need your instincts to tell you what to do... just don't do something that would kill you."

"Since when did I do something like that?"

Iris gave him "really" look.

"This time you're the rogue, try killing me with that knife." Iris tossed the knife to Leon's hands.

"You serious?" Leon said. "Fine..."

Leon ran up to Iris with the knife with a stabbing motion. Seeing his attack, Iris grabbed his wrist and twisted it. Leon dropped his knife, and Iris caught it with her free hand. She pulled Leon's hand and kneed him at the abdomen. She then kicked him behind the knees and had him on the ground, kneeling, with the knife at his neck.

"You suck." Iris said.

"Fuck off."

"That was really good."

Turning, Iris and Leon saw Eren and Reiner standing beside them, both with impressed looks. She lets go of Leon and didn't bother to help him up.

"Shouldn't you be training?" Leon said, wincing in pain. "You don't want Shadis to catch you slacking, like them." He nodded at Connie and Sasha's way, who were joking around, and Shadis came and grabbed Connie by the head. "I'd hate to be in that idiot's place."