Chapter Forty-Three

"TROOPS TAKE COVER!"

Upon hearing the command, Levi ordered Iris to take cover behind the houses and lead the recruits to retreat with the horses back to the Wall as he went after their comrades at the front. Iris ran through the streets of Shinganshina, running back to the horses, as ordered, but when the next wave of rocks came, she took cover in the alleys. The sound of their screams echoed in the air, and the blood of every Scout rained them.

"Does the enemy have cannons?!" A girl said.

"If that's so, then there's so many of them."

"Calm down! You're scaring the horses!" Marlo said.

"THE TITAN'S THROWING ROCKS!" Iris called out. "UNDER CAPTAIN'S ORDERS! ALL OF YOU, RETREAT TO THE WALL WITH THE HORSES!"

"Understood!" Marlo said.

A rock came and smashed the houses behind them.

"HURRY! AND STAY OUT THE LINE OF FIRE!" Iris yelled.

The recruits pulled the horses back to the Wall with Marlo's lead. As they retreated, Floch released his horses and went down crying on the ground. Iris grabbed him by his hood.

"GET UP! DO YOU WANT TO DIE?!" She said.

"IRIS!"

Looking up, she saw Levi coming down, he landed just before her. He placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Captain." She said.

"Commander!"

Erwin came down from the top of the Wall, Levi and Iris left Floch at the ground and went to meet with the man.

"How does it look?" Levi asked.

"Terrible." Erwin said. "His throws have destroyed the front line of houses. If he keeps throwing, all the houses will be leveled. We won't have anywhere left to hide."

"We can't retreat at the other side of the Wall?" Levi asked.

"No. The Colossal Titan is already heading this way. Supposing we scale the Wall to evade the stones, we'd have to leave the horses. If we retreat there, there's no hope for victory."

"What happened to Hange's group? Is Eren alright?"

"I don't know. Most of them got caught in the explosion. We've dealt a serious blow. The Beast Titan directed the small Titans so our soldiers would group in one place. As such, while engaging the small Titans, Dirk, Marlene, and Klaus Squad were all wiped out of the bombardment. In other words, our remaining forces this side of the gate... consists of you new Scout recruits, Captain Levi, Iris, and me..."

Another wave came, this time it hit the Wall behind them.

"Erwin... do you have any sort of plan?" Levi asked. "The Beast Titan has a good guess where we're at. This place will look like a honeycomb soon. If you're saying we've got no chance to counterattack, let's get ready to flee. Wake Eren sprawled out up there, ride him and flee with as many people as possible. At least we'll have some survivors –"

"Wait!" Iris spoke. "Have you forgotten that Eren's not the only Titan?!"

The two men turned to her.

"Commander, I've been waiting for your orders to engage, standing here watching as our comrades die out there! Please, give me the order!" Iris begged. "Please, tell me to transform to a Titan and go after the Beast Titan! Let me save these people!"

"If you come after the Beast Titan charging, there most likely that you won't even get close to him. He will command his Titans to come after you. And with your Titan's abilities, you won't be able to fight them off, and even if you get close to the Beast Titan, he is much bigger than your Titan, and you don't have Eren's hardening ability... you will most likely be defeated, captured or even eaten by the Beast Titan or one of his other Titans." Erwin explained.