Chapter Eighteen

"So, then... you guys are really..." Eren said.

"Yes." Mikasa said. "We'll be at the up-coming operation as well."

Iris, sat quietly on one of the crates beside Connie. Earlier, everyone thought to have a little reunion – for Eren's sake – and catch up, and as well as clarify some things. She sat on one of the crates at the background, listening as she played with the knife she got back, twirling it around her fingers, familiarizing herself again with the technique.

"Eren." Jean said. "I heard when you were in Titan form, you intentionally tried to crush Mikasa."

Iris stopped mid-spin of her knife and looked up to Eren and Jean. This was interesting.

"Mind telling us what that's all about?" Jean questioned.

"You're wrong, he thought he was just swatting a fly, he did nothing –" Mikasa began.

"I wasn't asking you." Jean said. "By the way, that cut at your cheek looks pretty deep, just how did you get that from again?"

Mikasa turned away and hid her cheek with her hair.

"Apparently it's all true, when I was a Titan, I tried to kill Mikasa." Eren said.

"Apparently? So, you're not sure if you did or not? So you can transform to a 14-meter monster at will, but if you do, you don't have full control of it." Jean said.

"Not yet, but that's right." Eren said.

"Do you hear that everyone? What a fine situation this is?" Jean said. "Our lives and mankind's rests on his shoulders, my guess we'll probably end up like Marco. Dead before Eren even knows it."

Iris sighed and got up from her seat and left the room, she ignored the calls of Leon, Krista and Armin, and just went on to the dark halls. She thought of sneaking to the kitchen to get something to eat – probably bread or a potato – but just as she came to the Mess, a sight made her stop and hide behind the shadows.

"Captain... I'm not sure if..." Petra said.

"She'll put up a fight, probably say something shitty about me or you – probably both – but that's just her way of coping... so please..." Levi said.

"Yes, Captain." Petra said.

Iris watched as Levi and the woman with strawberry-blond hair share a look. The woman had the same gaze when her mother saw her father, and it pissed her off. And it pissed her off even more when Levi placed his hand on the woman's.

"Thank you, Petra."

Cursing, Iris didn't care of the consequences of what she was going to do next. She walked into the room, catching the attention of her father and Petra.

"Iris..." Petra said.

"What are you doing up?" Levi asked. "Shouldn't you be in bed?"

"My apologies, Sir... I couldn't sleep, so I thought of taking a walk." Iris lied.

"How about you join us." Petra said. "I made tea."

Iris was silent. Levi saw the glare that his daughter was giving Petra, and he immediately knew what she thought what Iris thought of his and Petra's image, wanting to clarify to her that he only held high respects towards his soldier, and nothing more. And that the only woman he ever saw that way was her mother.

"No thanks." Iris said as she glared at her father.

"Iris." Levi said, seeing the look she had.