Chapter Forty-One

Hiding under the moonless night, the Scouts crept to the town where it all began. It took them days to reach deep into Wall Maria, most of their journey were at night, avoiding Titans as much as possible as the battle was at the other side of the Inner Wall of Shinganshina.
Guiding her horse along, Iris pulled her cloak's hood lower as she tried to keep herself warm.

"Sorry if you're stuck with my horse." Eren spoke.

"It's fine, you should save your energy." Mikasa said.

"She's right, you should rest up, Eren." Connie said.

"Idiot, don't say his name." Jean chastised.

"Oh, yeah, sorry." Connie muttered.

"This place is swarming with enemies." Iris said. "We can't let them know where he is."

"Right –"

"Titan on the left! Everyone halt! Light up the area!" Jean yelled.

Iris brought her light at the Titan that Jean have called out. She and the others brought out their blades, but was stopped when they noticed that the thing was not moving.

"It must be asleep. This lad must not be one of those new types that moves at night." Hange spoke. "That's too bad. Let him be."

Hiding their blades again, the Scouts went forward, continuing their journey. Just as they continued on with their journey, Iris felt her horse's reins be taken from her, she turned to the possible thief, and saw Leon holding it.

"You should be resting." Leon said.

"I've rested enough." Iris said.

"Idiot, you need to rest, especially that you're going to drag that ten-meter ass of yours later." Leon muttered. "Look, even he's resting."

Iris nodded.

"Even if I'm only on standby until Eyebrows gives me the signal... I hate this, I have to follow his every command – I can't fight until he says so..." Iris muttered.

"Well, that's what you get for being royalty." Connie said in a hushed and teasing tone.

"Shh!" Jean chastised. "Idiot., how many times, huh?!"

"At this point, only the suicidal maniac is actually useful..." Iris muttered. "Can't really complain now... I gave him my word... one wrong move and my Dad will kick my ass."

"You mean the Captain." Leon said.

"Mostly Dad."

"Suck to have your father as a superior, huh." Leon chuckled. "They think you'll get special treatment if they were, but in reality, you have all the pressure on you..."

Iris turned to him with a confused look.

"No... he'll kick my ass for insubordination..." Iris said.

"Right..." Leon muttered. "Hey, just think of it this way... the Commander having you under his watch means he has a secret plan that could kick our enemy right at the gut –"

"You mean another gamble." Iris muttered.

"And if that pays off, then we'll finally get back Wall Maria and we'll finally get to see outside the Walls." Leon said.

Iris smiled.

"You never fail to surprise me. You always find a way to turn the shittiest scenarios to a better one."

"I recognize this place." Mikasa spoke. They stopped and waited for Mikasa's words as she looked around. "This is where we would get firewood."

"We're close then." Eren said.