59| Howls & Demise

❝ Beautiful things fall apart

- and so did she❞

Cold.

I felt cold. The thrashing waves of chilly ruthless air draped over my body. My eyes were shut, stuck in the universe of darkness, but I  was aware of my surroundings. The buzzing, sirens, frantic voices continuously nudging my senses. 

I was there, but almost not. Like a memory stuck between a dream and the reality. An conscious drowning in a pool of unconsciousness. 

My body felt like a big rock, stiff and unmoving, but a stingy sensation on my arm jolted me and a groan escaped my lips. Throbbing pain erupting my bones and a heaviness suffocated me, I fluttered my eyelids, trying to open them, it's like they were stuck with glue. 

"I am sorry."

At the sound of an unknown voice, I finally managed to tear my eyes open to find a wrinkled, but full of hope face of a woman. 

 Catching my eyes, she smiled at me softly and said, "You're awake, thank god."

Frowning I stared at her for a full minute, feeling a faint ripple of drowsiness clouding my head. But as  I noticed her nurse uniform, the haunted reality finally caught up to me.  My eyes widened and panic seized every nerve of my body, I looked around and the sickening smell of medicine and hospital engulfed me.

Except I was not in a hospital. My eyes trailed towards the slightly opened door of the ambulance, giving a glimpse of outside's rush. Letting out a wince, I stared down at the white bandage being wrapped around my arm.

My jeans were ripped, showing the scrapped skin of my leg and there were small cuts on my bare arm. I raised my hand and felt the gauze at the side of my forehead, the rough texture brushed against my fingertips.

"How are you feeling? Does it hurt somewhere?" The woman peered up and asked. The sympathetic glint on her features scared me for some reason.

I wanted to open my mouth and speak but, the words were caged in my throat with the lump that was stuck.  So instead, I just shook my head lowly.

Suddenly, a thought occurred me. I was not alone. I was not alone in the car, what had happen? Where were everyone? Where was he?

The nurse turned her back to get rid of the dirty cotton and bandage and that was my cue. Quickly, pulling myself up from that uncomfortable small place, I stood up and reached for the door.

Ignoring the calls of that nurse, I pushed the door open and stepped out of the ambulance. It was like stepping out on a battlefield, except there were no survivors or hymns of victory, but the howls of demise and loss.

The smoke mingled with the scent of burnt engine tickled my nostrils and unconsciously I wrapped my arms around myself. Two police cars perched up at the middle, officers sprawled over.