. 3 6 .

"Your self-destructiveness is getting worse," Sam scolded as soon as Recovery Girl left the room after being called by Cementoss. She gave Danny a pointed stare at seeing him sputter for an excuse. "Yes, you didn't get hurt on purpose —this time— but you did want to keep going after you went down. Have you no self-preservation? At all?"

"I mean, he kind of tried to save someone..?" Tucker hesitantly provided for his friend. He gulped at Sam's head whipping in his direction, and he held up his hands as he took a step backward. "Getting hurt while saving people isn't out of the ordinary. Not for him, anyway."

"And," Danny butted in, "I wasn't exactly expecting to be hit by someone who was basically falling to his death as I dove after him to save his ass."

Sam sighed and crossed her arms, but rolled her eyes nonetheless. "Okay, fine. Point for the two dorks." She sighed and looked at the closed door to the office. "When's de debrief, anyway? Nezu seemed kind of excited about the idea of talking to us about it. Can't say the same."

"Why?"

"Because," she nearly snarled, "you were transformed. On camera. I hope you got an excuse cooked up and ready to be served."

Danny's eyes widened. "Shit."

"Dude, the only time they could've seen it is when you fell," Tucker said. "That was point two seconds at best."

"And it'll be the highlight of the afternoon," Danny groaned as he fell back into his pillows and rubbed at his temples with his hands. "Man, my headache is being a little shit right now." He hopefully looked up at Tucker. "Any chance you can hack into the system? Corrupt the files, or something?"

"Language," Sam mumbled absent-mindedly. She was staring right into Nezu's beady and knowing eyes as he stood in the now opened door. "Principal Nezu," she said with a little more volume than necessary, alerting the boys of his presence.

"Good afternoon," he chirped back as if he'd heard nothing. Sam gulped, not believing his oblivious facade. "Are you three ready? We would like to start the debrief soon. Or do you need more time, Mr. Fenton?" he asked, turning to the addressed teen.

"I'm good to go," he said back with a strained smile. "One second." He gave an alarmed glance at Tucker before he stood from the bed and started working on his shoes. Grabbing the sweater Sam had brought, he accepted the supporting arm Tucker provided for him.

"Follow me, please!" the principal cheered as he turned.

They followed as they shared glances. 'We're doomed.'

At first, Danny found the meeting to be smooth sailing

At first, Danny found the meeting to be smooth sailing. There were more random comments made than questions asked, for which he was both grateful and hesitant. Had they really not seen anything? Were they waiting for the opportune moment to strike? While they weren't paying close enough attention? Danny could only wait.