House Keys

I rewrote this chapter, so I know you'll start reading this and go "Hey, wait a minute. I've already read this before." but I changed a lot of it. It is a bit shorter, but I can work with this better, now. It is definitely different than it was before, so read the whole thing. Sorry it took me 4 months to do.

He didn't make much conversation with me at the table. He also kept focusing on stuff around us rather than just us and he just seemed sort of antsy in a way. He did catch me staring at him and he gave a small smile and continued to eat and sip his coffee. This was certainly not my usual acting Roger.

"I think this album is going to be great. I have a really good feeling about it." I started to make conversation with him.

I noticed his shoulders seemed to relax slightly before he nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I do too."

I didn't know what else to add to the conversation, and it seemed he wasn't going to continue , so I took another sip of my tea. Roger had finished his food and had his cup of coffee in his hands, staring down into it as he shook his leg under the table and rubbed his thumb on the handle. I watched the way the muscles in his hands moved every time he flicked his thumb across the handle. I was focused on his hands as the waitress came by and took our empty plates, startling me a bit. She smiled at me and left us with just our drinks. I rubbed my hand down the side of my cup and focused my eyes back on Roger, this time on his face. He chewed on his bottom lip, which he knows I hate, but I didn't say anything to him.

His persistent leg-shaking was driving me mad. I sighed deeply before placing my hand on Roger's, which were clentched on the handle of his mug. He immediately stopped moving his leg and closed his eyes.

"Roger..." I spoke softly and he lifted his head up to look at me. "You know I love you, right?"

His facial expression suddenly changed, he looked worried and grabbed the hand I placed on his, holding it somewhat tightly. "Yeah- yes of course Bri... of course I know that and I love you too. In fact, I love you so much that-" he stopped his sentence there.

"That what, Roger?" I was confused. He definitely has something pressing on his mind.

"You know what? How about we go home, okay?" He spoke warmly from across the table.

I nodded my head and gave a small smile to him, despite my confusion. His warm voice is so comforting and safe sounding,  I'd follow that voice to the ends of the earth. "Okay, sure."

We both stood up after finishing off our cups, paid our meal, and left. He unlocked my door for me, opening it for me to get in and shutting it behind me, like a gentleman. He hopped in the driver's side and started up the engine, giving me a quick glance and a squeeze of the knee before driving off. We listened to the radio and I closed my eyes, leaning my head on the window once again. I didn't open them back until the car stopped. I looked out the window but was confused, for we were not stopped at our home.

"Where are we Rog?" I asked and he just gave me a nervous smile.

"You'll see..." He pulled the key out of the ignition and opened his door.

He hopped out, shutting his door, and quickly ran over to my door, opening it for me and offering me his hand. I was completely baffled by what was going on, but I grasped his sweaty and and let him pull me out of the car. 

"Roger, what's going on? I thought we were going home?" I spoke as he ushered me to the front door by the small of my back. 

He stopped me at the door and I looked around. The outside of the house was beautiful, I must admit. Floral bushes lined across the front and the path leading up to the door was quite elegant, placed with cobble stones. He pulled his hand away from my back and pulled his keys out. 

"Roger-" He silenced me with a finger and unlocked the door.

"Brian... we are home..." He pushed the door open and grabbed my hands, pulling me inside.