XXXIII

┌───── ・☆☽・ ─────┐
𝕤𝕖𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕞𝕓𝕖𝕣 𝟙 𝟡 𝟡 𝟝
━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━
"she's my best friend,
and you're treating her like dirt"

┌───── ・☆☽・ ─────┐𝕤𝕖𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕞𝕓𝕖𝕣 𝟙 𝟡 𝟡 𝟝━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━"she's my best friend,and you're treating her like dirt"

"The point," Hermione pressed on loudly, pulling a stray bushy lock behind her ear. "Is that this sort of thing is exactly what Dumbledore was talking about. You-Know-Who's only been back two months, and we've started fighting among ourselves. And the Sorting Hat's warning was the same — stand together, be united —"

"As Harry said it last night," Ron retorted, walking out of the Gryffindor Common Room, "if that means we're supposed to get matey with the Slytherins, fat chance." He shook his head as the group made their way to the Great Hall.

"Well, I think it's a pity we're not trying for a bit of inter-House unity," Hermione said crossly, especially since Rosalie was now a Slytherin.

She didn't care for the way Ron and in particular Harry had been towards Rosalie's placement in Slytherin House and as a Malfoy. She had never expected them to react like this . . .  they'd all seem to show some reason at the Order when they found out.

They had reached the foot of the marble staircase. A line of fourth-year Ravenclaws was crossing the entrance hall; they caught sight of Harry and hurried to form a tighter group, as though frightened he might attack stragglers.

"Yeah, we really ought to be trying to make friends with people like that,"  Harry said sarcastically, glaring at Hermione.

"Well, what about Rosie?" Hermione argued as they followed the Ravenclaws into the Great Hall, looking instinctively at the staff table as they entered. "You two have been awfully quiet about her being placed in Slytherin, and awfully rude too," She mumbled the last part under her breath.

Professor Grubbly-Plank was chatting to Professor Sinistra, the Astronomy teacher, and Hagrid was once again conspicuous only by his absence. The enchanted ceiling above them echoed Harry's mood; it was a miserable rain-cloud grey.

"Dumbledore didn't even mention how long that Grubbly-Plank woman's staying," Harry said ignoring Hermione's statement about Rosalie, as they made their way across to the Gryffindor table. Why did it matter, it's not like they were really friends . . .

"Maybe . . ."  Hermione replied thoughtfully, as she pulled a slice of toast onto her plate.

"What?" Harry and Ron both asked between bites of their own breakfast.

"Well . . . maybe he didn't want to draw attention to Hagrid not being here." Hermione suggested, buttering a slice of toast for herself.