"Marry me"

I really enjoyed writing this one! Hope you like it too. As always feel free to leave comments--they always make my day! Also, if you have any prompts, feel free to send them my way, especially angst prompts! I've written so many fluffy oneshots lately, so I think it's about time to add some angst! 

Have a great week!

Prompt found on Tumblr

...

"Marry me"

Eliza was sitting on her sister Angelica's bed, legs crossed and hands resting gently on the pillow on her lap. Angelica and Peggy were lounging on the large grey futon across from the bed, Peggy daintily brushing her sister's hair.

"I think I'm going to do it," Eliza decided, pulling up the sleeve of her oversized sweater. She radiated joy, her perfect cheekbones eliciting a pink tint and her eyes glowing. Her cheeks began to hurt from smiling so much, but she just couldn't stop smiling when she thought of her sweet boyfriend.

Peggy's jaw dropped as she suddenly stopped brushing Angelica's hair. "Are you serious?" she asked, not sure whether she was excited, or confused, or shocked at Eliza's declaration. Perhaps a combination of all three.

"I am. I'm going to ask Alexander to marry me!" Saying it out loud made her more giddy, barely being able to hold in a girly screech.

Angelica's face dropped. "Are you sure, Eliza? You've always dreamed of the way he'd propose to you. I'd hate for you to give that dream up."

"You're not happy for me?" Eliza's face quickly turned to a concerned frown, worried that she was disappointing Angelica.

"No, of course I'm happy for you, Eliza. That's why I want you to be sure that you're making the right decision. I just don't want you to regret waiting for him to propose to you; I've seen your Pinterest boards."

Eliza had to laugh. "You're right, Angelica. That was how I've always dreamed it would be since forever. But now all that matters is that we get married. He could ask me with a piece of string and I'd say yes. What matters is the marriage; not the proposal or wedding."

Angelica smiled softly. No matter how witty Angelica was, Eliza was wise. "Well then I'm ecstatic for you, darling. I know he'll say yes."

The sisters smiles quickly turned to fits of giggles as if they were a bunch of kindergarten girls who had just seen their parents kiss in front of them.

"I can't believe my baby sister is going to be getting married!" Angelica shrieked, running over to Eliza to give her a hug.

"He hasn't said yes, yet."

"Yet," Peggy emphasized, rolling her eyes. "You know he's going to say yes. He has too hard of a time saying no to you."

Eliza's cheeks flushed pink thinking about Alexander. Peggy was right—Eliza could get just about anything from her boyfriend. It wasn't that they hadn't talked about getting married before either. They knew they were going to get married one day since they were in high school.

The TV was playing in the background, Eliza catching a glimpse of two characters kissing for the first time, something that was long awaited. It reminded Eliza of Alexander, who was on a business trip this week, which was far too long in Eliza's opinion. The two were connected at the hip, and were rarely ever found apart.

"I miss my boy," Eliza sighed, sticking her lower lip out and hugging the pillow closer to her chest.

"It's been six days, Eliza," Peggy deadpanned, looking at the middle sister.

"I know, but it's not the same going to bed without him. FaceTime isn't enough, and it's not like he has the time to talk to me while he's there. He's busy for Mr. Washington."

Peggy still rolled her eyes. "God, I hope Laurens and I are not as lovesick as you two are."

"Yeah, yeah," Eliza responded sarcastically, still smiling.

After a few minutes, Angelica brought up a question. "Are you going to give him a ring?"

"Huh?" Eliza asked, caught off guard as she thought of Alexander, vicariously living through the relationship of the two characters on the TV.

"Are you going to give Alexander a ring? When you propose to him?"

Eliza sat back onto the pillows on the bed, her back sinking into the mattress. Truth be told, she wasn't sure. Would he even want an engagement ring? Was her idea just a dumb thought that she wasn't actually going to go through with?

"Yeah," Eliza finally said after some thought. "But I'm going to need your help."

"Already on it," Peggy smirked, typing on her phone.

...

Two weeks later, Eliza had the ring and she was ready to ask Alexander to marry her. She know understood how guys could get so nervous when they proposed. It didn't matter how much she told herself that he was going to say yes. She was nearly shaking as her hand clasped into Alexander's upon entering their apartment after a date night.

They fell upon their couch, taking a deep breath just thinking of the nice night out they finally got.

"I love you," Alexander mumbled, capturing Eliza's lips in a tender kiss that quickly turned into fast, sloppy kisses.

She wrapped her arms around his neck as he further pushed her onto her back. Sighing contently into the kiss, she let his tongue slip its way into her mouth. As he began pulling off her jacket, Eliza snapped back into reality, pulling away from the kiss and sitting up.

Alexander pouted at his girlfriend, hoping to get some Eliza tonight.

"Hold on," she laughed nervously. "Goodness, you're so cute."

He blushed slightly, hoping she wouldn't notice. Of course she did.

"I know this may seem weird, but I couldn't help myself," she smiled, searching through her coat pocket. When she felt what she was looking for, she left her hand there, fingers gently running over the box.

She took a deep breath. It's now or never. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you, and I don't want to wait." She took his hand in hers, gently rubbing her fingers over his knuckles. Eliza kissed his knuckles gently before adding, "From the moment we started dating, I knew we'd be together forever. You mean everything to me, Alexander. I know I'm not down on one knee, but... marry me?"

Eliza pulled out the ring box, opening it to reveal the simple black band her sister's helped her pick out.

He sat unable to believe this girl actually wanted to marry him. "You're serious? You want to marry me?" He choked a bit on his words.

Sometimes his mind would flash back and think of all the times people didn't love him, or the times he lost the people who did love him. He didn't think that he was a lovable person, nor did he think he was worthy of receiving Eliza's love. Even years later he still wondered how she couldn't handle him. She must be an angel.

"More than anything," she nodded, wiping away the tear that had fallen down his cheek and cupping his chin.

He smiled, in awe of this woman. "Of course I'll marry you."

She pulled the ring out of the box, slipping it onto his left ring finger. "I'm glad you said yes, because I can't return this ring I picked out," she joked, her own tears welling up. She could barely hold in her excitement. She was marrying her best friend!

His lips met hers in what she thought was the sweetest, most innocent kiss she'd ever received. She swore her heart skipped a beat as he wrapped his arms around her waist and she melted right into his touch.

He pulled away, smiling at the way she way her teeth sunk into her lower lip. "Can I still get you a ring?" he asked shyly, looking at the new addition to his hand.

"You know I can't say no to that," she smiled, laying her head down onto his shoulder and cuddling into his side.

Mrs. Hamilton sounded perfect to him.