"That's not mama"

Hi, friends! It's been a while, but I'm finally done with this semester and hope to be back on a more regular schedule this summer! This one is a little short, but a good way to get back into a schedule!

This one was requested by Musicals_4_Life , and let me tell you, it's a sad one! Also, it's my first attempt at a historical one shot, but it's not blatantly obvious it's the 18th century so I'm not sure it can count as historical! I'm definitely out of touch with the historical writing I used to do! Hope you enjoy!

...

"That's not mama"

"Five, four, three, two, one!" Alexander Jr. yelled from outside.     

Nine-year-old Philip Hamilton ran as fast as he could inside the house to find a place to hide. He and his little brother had been playing out in the fields all afternoon while waiting for their papa to finish his work. They couldn't wait to play with him that night because they got him all to themselves while their mama and sister Angelica visited with their Aunt Peggy.

Philip dashed up the stairs and flew passed his papa's office to his perfect hiding spot: his mama and papa's bedroom. There was a perfect little crevice he could hide and AJ would take forever to find him!

As he approached the door, he could hear the voice of his papa. "Papa?" he whispered, excited to hear that he was done with his work and could play with him and AJ now! He twisted the handle quickly and ran into the room excitedly. "Papa! Papa! Are you ready to play with me and AJ?"

Little Philip's excitement turned to confusion and then hurt all too quickly as he noticed his papa's shirt on the floor along with a floral petticoat and skirt that clearly didn't belong to his mama. He looked up to see Alexander and this stranger in his parents' bed, tangled up in the sheets and sweat beading off of the blonde woman's long curly locks. The two had stopped their moment of heat when they heard the boy barge in.

"That's not mama," he said shakily. For a young boy, Philip was incredibly smart. He knew exactly what was going on. His friend from church had told him about how his mama and papa were fighting because his papa had a mistress. "Why are you doing this to mama?" Philip cried, running out to find his brother and closing the door behind him.

As he approached the staircase again, AJ shrieked in joy at finding his big brother. "I found you, Pip!" He giggled and put his arms around Philip.

Philip couldn't let his little brother see what was happening. It was his job to protect him. "Shh, papa's working, we need to be quiet. Let's go back outside," he whispered, hoping to push the scene he had just witnessed out of his mind.

The excuse was good enough for AJ, and the boy scooted down each stair on his bum until he reached the bottom, then ran out to the garden. Philip followed slower behind him, hoping that he wouldn't have to talk to his papa until at least supper.

"Pip!" AJ was clearly getting impatient outside.

Philip picked up his pace to meet his brother. He smiled at the giddy boy and ruffled his hair. "You can choose the next game, AJ."

All he could think about his mama and how hurt she was going to be when she found out. He had to protect her.