"You know I could never leave you alone on your favorite holiday"

Almost forgot to upload this! Sorry about the lateness! Hope you enjoy! Message me if ou have any story ideas!

Prompt found on Tumblr

...

"You know I could never leave you alone on your favorite holiday"

"Love you. Only five more months," Eliza smiled into her phone's camera, holding tightly onto the stuffed bear her boyfriend had gotten her for their first Valentine's Day as a couple. She was snuggled up in one of his old hoodies, hair in a messy bun, and makeup freshly taken off. To Alexander, she looked perfect.

"I love you, too."

With that, Eliza disappointedly hung up, tucking the bear closer to her chest.

Over their senior year of high school, Alexander's family moved to a different state, making their relationship long distance. They had been long distance for five months before Eliza visited over Thanksgiving, hoping that seeing each other would help until Alexander moved back to New York for college after graduation. Saying goodbye the second time was even harder, knowing that they wouldn't see each other again until May.

Eliza turned over in her bed, smiling at the picture on her nightstand of her and Alexander at their junior prom. She was in a satin baby blue gown, and curls were framing her face. One arm was wrapped around his waist while the other hand rested on his chest. She was looking at the camera beaming while Alexander was looking at her like she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

She remembered the day like it was yesterday. Unfortunately, it felt like lightyears away. Time has a way of doing that when you're apart from the person you love, or in Eliza's case, her love who was also her best friend. She felt as though a part of her heart was missing from its place—a part that couldn't be replaced. Sure, Peggy was there for her, and she had a few other friends at school, but Angelica was away for college and her best friend was away. Nothing could replace that.

Eliza didn't notice that she was crying until she heard a knock on the door, and Peggy and Laurens entered the room.

"You okay, Liza?" Peggy asked, walking in to sit next to her sister on the bed. Laurens followed behind her and stood at the edge of the bed.

Eliza shook her head slowly, wiping the tears that were escaping from her eyes. "No," she croaked. "I just miss him. It's so hard not seeing him at school. Don't get me wrong, I needed to visit him over Thanksgiving and I don't regret it, but at the same time, I almost wished I didn't go because it's even harder now after saying goodbye again."

Laurens reached out to hand her a few tissues, listening to her problems. "I understand," he said. "I miss him, too. He's my best friend, too. It must be hard to be away from him so long when you usually have your weekly weekend dates."

It's true. The couple made sure to go on a date once a week, whether it was a stay at home movie and cuddles night, or they went out for a nicer dinner.

"Plus, I'm pretty sure he likes you way more than he likes me," he added jokingly and gave a wink. Eliza laughed a little, his joke making her feel a little better. "Do you need a hug?" he asked, knowing that she was always comforted by hugs.

She sat up and nodded, falling into his arms. The hug was short, but enough to comfort her a little.

"Thanks, bro," she said when they pulled apart. She punched his shoulder lightly, already returning to her usual playful relationship with John.

"No problem, sis. Let us know if we can help in any other way."

And with that, Peggy and Laurens left the room to return to the living room.

"We should call Alex," Peggy said as she flopped onto the couch. "Maybe he has an idea of how to help. Or maybe we could get him up here for a few days for Christmas."

Laurens agreed, already Skyping his best friend.

Alexander popped up onto the screen a few seconds later. "Hey, guys... what's up?"

"Eliza really misses you," Peggy said. "Is there anything you can do to help?"

He was silent on the end for a few seconds before explaining his plan. "Don't tell her, but I'm coming up two days before Christmas to surprise her. I've been planning this since last weekend."

"Awwww," Peggy cooed, delighted at how Alexander treated her sister. "Of course we won't tell her. Our lips are sealed." She motioned that she was zipping up her lips and throwing away the key like she was in elementary school again.

"Thanks, guys. You two are the best."

...

The day had finally arrived—Alex had landed in New York was in front of Schuyler's home. He had a bouquet of roses in one hand and his suitcase was trailing behind him. He knocked on the door, knowing that everyone was in on the surprise and would have Eliza ready to open the door to greet him.

A minute later, the door opened and he got to see his angel's face in person. It took a second for her to register that her boyfriend was actually there, but when she fully realized it, her jaw dropped and the biggest smile broke from her face.

"Babe!" she shrieked, tears springing from her eyes. Her arms immediately wrapped around him as she literally jumped into his arms and wrapped her legs around his waist. He caught her immediately, balancing her on his hips. He walked into the front door to escape the cold, Philip Schuyler grabbing the suitcase before the door shut.

"Hi, sweetheart," he smiled, setting her down on the couch. Their lips met almost instantly, the roses long forgotten as they were thrown onto the coffee table. "I missed you. You know I could never leave you alone on your favorite holiday."

The rest of the Schuyler's left the room to give them privacy. Eliza appreciated how much her family supported their relationship.

"I got you an early Christmas gift," he said, pulling out a jewelry box from his coat pocket. "It's not much, but I think you'll like it."

She opened the box quickly, looking at the dainty ring on the inside. It was a simple silver band with the smallest diamond in the middle. Eliza knew he couldn't afford much, so when she saw the ring, she gasped at the beautiful piece of jewelry. It's simplicity and elegance were things that actually absolutely melted her.

"It's gorgeous," she whispered. "It's more than enough."

He took the box from her to take the ring out. "It's a promise ring. I want to marry you one day and spend forever with you. It scares me how much you mean to me. This is a promise that when we're ready, I'm going to ask you to marry me. That is, of course, if you want to."

"Of course I want to," she smiled. "And I promise that when you ask me, I'm going to say yes." She held out her left hand for him to place the ring on.

Alexander instead opted to pick up her right hand. "I'm saving that hand for the real thing," he said, slipping the ring onto her right ring finger. It fit perfectly. "Merry Christmas, Bets."

"Merry Christmas."