"You spent how much on decorations?!"

Long time no see! As I'm on winter break, I thought it would fun to add a chapter or two to this book since it's been so long! Hope you enjoy some fluff and have an amazing time off from school or work! Happy holidays!

...

"You spent how much on decorations?!"

Just like that, the country was shutting down again. No Thanksgiving with Eliza's parents and no Christmas with Eliza's family either. Only a few stores were left open again and restaurants were closing down again for take-out only.

Alexander and Eliza were in their junior year of university living together in a small apartment close to campus, and since COVID and the first lockdown, they hadn't really seen their family besides a few masked moments meeting up at the mall when it reopened or a restaurant. But that was months ago now before classes started up again, and even though they were online, they were in full swing almost immediately.

"It's so sad that I can't be with my parents to help put up their tree this year," Eliza said, stringing the lights onto their artificial tree. "But at least I have you to spend the holidays with even if we can't go visit them."

The Schuylers always went all out during the holiday season, indoors and outdoors. It was always wonderful to come visit for a couple of days during the holiday season and see all of the lights and garland and decorations, so of course she missed it. She could only hope that their modest tree would make up for it even a little. 

Alexander smiled, looking through their closet for the ornaments that Eliza swore were there. He didn't have the heart to tell her that he couldn't find them and suspected she had accidently left them at her parents' house last year.

"That's right! And your mom said she would send us those recipes too so we could have our own dinner."

He turned back to the tree, chuckling at how worn it was and how Eliza's lopsided handiwork with stringing the lights was far from perfect. Even though it wasn't the most aesthetic looking tree, it was perfect to them.

"You ready for the first lighting of the tree this year?!" Eliza smiled, holding the plug to the lights.

She saw him nod and proceeded to plug the lights in, only to be disappointed. Half of the string was broken and the usually white lights were out.

"Dang it," Eliza huffed defeatedly, burying her face in her hands on the verge of tears. "I just wanted something to go well this year since we can't spend Christmas with my family. Now the lights are broken and the cookies are probably burning..."

"Shh Eliza it's okay. Listen, I'll go pick up some lights and more cookie dough and then we can fix this, okay? We'll even put a Christmas movie on," Alexander consoled, knowing that he already needed to find some ornaments anyways.

She nodded, nearly laughing at how stupid she thought she was for being so upset over a string of lights. "Okay thank you," she responded quietly.

Alexander grabbed his mask and headed to the store with a plan in mind. He knew just how much she was wishing to be around her family and their extravagant decorations and festivities. He had to make it up to her.

He picked up lights, not just for the tree, but for all around their quaint little apartment. Several kinds of ornaments were chosen as well to replace the ones that were left at the Schuylers'. Alexander picked up a couple other things, cringing at the register when he saw how much it all cost, but decided that it was worth it to see the smile that would be spread across Eliza's face when she saw it.

"I'm back," he announced as he opened their apartment door. He began dragging in all of the bags he got from the store, looking for Eliza.

"I'll be out in a minute!" she yelled from their bedroom.

Alexander took this as the perfect opportunity to hang up the mistletoe he bought over the door frame leading to the kitchen.

Eliza came out in comfy Christmas pajamas a minute later, her jaw dropping when she saw all of the bags sitting on their floor.

"Alex?" she questioned slowly. "What did you do?"

"I figured I could try to make it a little like your family's home, well, as much as our landlord will allow," Alexander responded shyly, pushing his hair back. "And as much as my bank account would allow. You know Christmas decorations aren't cheap. This was almost $200 worth of stuff," he joked.

"You spent how much on decorations?!"

"Don't worry about it. I just hope you like them."

"Like it?! I'm sure I'll love it! Thank you!"

He rolled his eyes jokingly, chuckling under his breath. "Only for you."

Eliza wrapped him into the biggest hug, holding him close as she looked behind him. With that she noticed the mistletoe he had put up.

"Is  that for me?" she asked, pulling away and pointing at the mistletoe.

"Well I just thought we could—"

She shook her head at how cute he sounded trying to explain himself.

"Just shut up and kiss me," Eliza commanded, pushing him so that they were under the mistletoe.

"Gladly."