"I'm going to be a what?!"

Thought I'd do a fluffy father's day oneshot in honor of father's day! Hope you enjoy!

...

"I'm going to be a what?!"

The day was Father's Day, and Ellie and Levi had a big secret—possibly the biggest secret they've ever had. Just a week before, they had already shared the secret with Eliza, who worked so hard to keep it a secret. It was hard, but she accomplished it.

The scent of Father's Day lunch filled the Hamilton home. Every Father's Day since Philip was born Eliza made Alexander's favorite meal and made sure to make him feel extra special that day. It was practically a tradition. After lunch the kids would show their handmade gifts, usually a hand decorated t-shirt with their handprints on it or cutely decorated paper cards. Eliza would give him his "real presents" later, though they both knew how much he adored the little gifts his children made him.

This tradition didn't seem to stop even when the older kids grew up as more little Hamilton children came into the family. To be honest, Alexander was a little bummed that the two youngest ones were getting to an age where they wouldn't make the cute gifts. This was probably the last year Eliza would be able to get them to do it without it being "embarrassing".

So he decided to cherish this Father's Day especially. He knew he was lucky his precious babies were at least making him drawings and writing notes on handmade cards for him.

"Thank you, my little lions," he smiled at his two youngest children after looking at the joint effort card. "I'll keep it on my desk at work so that everyone knows I have the best children."

They returned the smile and gave him a big hug and kiss on the cheek. Any day they got special time with their dad was a good day in their book.

The other kids did a gift together, minus Ellie since she was the only married one. He loved the small photo album they put together with pictures of all the kids with him from when they were little all the way until then. Eliza made the cut in some of the pictures, but she was more than happy to be the person behind the camera catching her husband with their children in moments he didn't know she was there.

"Okay, dad, Levi and I have a gift for you, too," Ellie said as she handed him a small box. "It isn't much, but I hope you like it." She smiled brightly, excited for his present.

Alexander laughed and shook his head. "I'm sure I'll love it."

He pulled off the top of the box and pulled away the tissue paper to reveal the secret she had been keeping from him. Inside was a wooden picture frame with a sonogram and the words 'You're going to be a grandpa!' etched into the wood.

He couldn't believe his eyes when he read it. "I'm going to be a what?!" He looked up at his eldest daughter to see her nervously smiling. Eliza was behind Ellie grinning excitedly, obviously already aware of the news that their daughter was pregnant.

"Surprise! You're going to be a grandpa!"

He burst into one of the biggest smiles he'd given in a long time. "I can't believe it! Congratulations!" He got up to hug his daughter and son-in-law. "You both will make great parents."

"Well I learned from the best," Ellie said. "This baby is going to have the best grandpa."

With that he smiled on a new and exciting thought. Even though this may be the last Father's Day he gets cute handmade gifts from his babies, next year would be no exception.

The next year, his five month old granddaughter added a new set of handprints to an updated "#1 grandpa" t-shirt.