Chapter 2: Anomaly

Meggy woke up with a start. She was once again in her bed, another reset had happened. She was glad this time though, that means that, hopefully, all her friends were alive. She'd have to give Y/n a piece of her mind though. That's when everything came back to her, and what you did. Her eyes widened, first she checked the calendar. Indeed, today was the day you would open the doors of the Ruins. She grabbed her orange jacket and ran to the woods. Standing at the bridge, she sat there, waiting for her friend.

But you never showed up.

She walked to the doors to find they haven't even been open.

Meggy: He's just a little late, yeah! That's it! He probably feels guilty about killing Tari last timeline so he's spending extra time with her.

She went home after that, stopping at Toad's bar for some spaghetti. She returned the next day, hoping you would walk down that snowy path. You still weren't there. Day after day, she waited. Days turned to weeks, weeks turned into months. You never showed up. Her thoughts were filled with your final moments. That smile you gave her, filled with happiness and pain. She felt guilty. You unknowingly caused her pain with all the resets. But she returned it with not realizing your feelings for her.

Over the past few months, that spark between Mario and Meggy began to fade. Mario was kind to her, he really was, but he knew little to nothing about romance. Or... well, about anything really. In the end, it was a mutual break up. He could continue his work on his puzzles, and the royal guard, and she could focus on her plans of training, and waiting for you to show up.

After the break up, she began to think about you more and more. About all the things the two of you did together. Eating at Toad's, cooking with Saiko, captain of the royal guard, helping Bowser with his bakery. And while she wouldn't dare watch it, you humored Dr. Boopkins, the royal scientist, by watching anime with him. And you and Bob were a great comedy duo.

After waiting for hours for you to show up, which again you never did, she went to her favorite spot, the cliff-side in Waterfall with her telescope she used to prank you. The timeline before the previous one, you asked her what her favorite flower was, a rare orange rose, only found on a small island in the middle of a lake of lava in Hotland. You somehow got to the island and got her the flower. Somehow, it was still there, fresh as if it was just picked. She picked it up and held it close to her. You risked your life to get this small display of affection. You risked your life to try and find a truly peaceful end for everyone. And when the time came, you gave your life to save everyone. 

Y/n: This is the only way. you can live your life happily.

Those words repeated in her mind, as well as the conversation after. Then when you stabbed yourself.

Y/n: Didn't I already tell you? Because I love you.

Meggy: 'I love you.' Of course you would do something like that, you cliche bastard. But how can I live my life happily...if your not here with me?

A few more days pass, her and Mario just living as roommates now-a-days. Something she didn't mind at all. She thought of you more and more. Hoping, praying that you would finally walk through those doors. Simply because, now looking back on all her memories with you, she felt the same spark she once had with Mario. Only this was much, much stronger. Of course, she'd have to find a way to apologize and not make things awkward. 

Meggy: Hey, remember how I killed you X number of times last timeline? Well, anyway I love you too, let's be together! Yeah, that'd work real well Meggy.

Meggy talked to herself as she made her way towards the Ruins once more. Once she made it, her eyes widened as the doors were finally open! She quickly made her way to the bridge, waiting for you. She happily walked over to the figure of a person.

Meggy: Come on now, don't you know how to greet a new friend? Turn around and shake my hand!

Meggy had her eyes closed, as the person shook hands with Meggy causing the whoopee cushion to go off.

Meggy: Ah... the old whoopee cushion in the hand trick, it NEVER gets... old?

When Meggy opened her eyes, her smile fell. The person standing in front of her, stifling a giggle, wasn't you. Unless you suddenly shrunk down to her height, got tentacles for hair, and switched genders.

Meggy: Uhh... Hi! What's your name?

?: Hi! I'm Desti. Desti the Octoling!

As she was shaking Desti's hand, she felt another presence, one that felt sinister, but also... sad. This isn't right. YOU were supposed to come through those doors. YOU were supposed to be here! Not this Desti?! Meggy heard the Octoling say something.

Meggy: I'm sorry?

Desti: I said, could you please let go of my hand?

Meggy still had a grip on her hand, she let go.

Meggy: Oh, sorry. Umm...My name is Meggy, Meggy the Inkling. Uhh... Hey, come on, let me show you Snowdin.

Desti smiled and followed Meggy, a boy with black hair and red eyes appeared for a second before following Desti and vanishing, a sad expression on his face. Off in the distance, a black mass was standing there. Only a face could barely be seen. lines growing above his right eye, and below his left. A few strands of H/c hair still on his head, the rest had turned white. He smiled as Meggy walked along, before glitching out of existence again.