Chapter 28: Family

Meggy sat on the couch, running her fingers through your hair as you slept on her lap. Everyone else gathered in the main room, staring at Meggy.

Meggy: Why is everyone looking at me like that?

Saiko: Well... I mean, Devin said that you were dead.

Meggy: Well, I understand where you are coming from. I don't get it myself, but what I do know is that I am back. Also, will Y/n be alright?

Boopkins: Oh, yes Y/n will be fine. He just needs to rest up and his body will heal. I'll have to work on a new, more sturdy vessel though...

Meggy looked down at the cracks that had formed on your face. They had slowly healed up and they weren't as bad, but she still felt bad.

Mario: Is Devin still here?

Bowser: I don't think so. And boy am I glad, that guy is starting to scare me!

Desti: Umm... excuse me! I'm sitting right here! Don't talk about him behind his back.

Luigi: But Bowser's right! Devin is getting really scary lately. Especially ever since he mastered that whole Hate thing.

Desti: But we all know he had to!

Everyone began to argue, some took Bowser's side, others took Desti's. Meggy however wasn't having this right now.

Meggy: Will all of you be quiet?! Y/n needs to rest and you are going to wake him up!

Everyone shuts up. Meggy looks at all of them and shakes her head.

Meggy: There's a lot you don't know about these two. But one thing you should know, is that they are fighting for us.

They all begin nodding their heads.

Meggy: And i don't know about this whole Hate thing, but Devin seems like he's trying to help.

Desti: He is. And the thing with Hate, it is something that any SOUL trait can get. Should someone control it, they can become extremely powerful. Devin did just that.

Meggy: But why would he do something that dangerous?

Desti: Because he thought he'd be able to avenge his friend.

That made Meggy more guilty. She didn't know that they would go through all of this just to try and avenge her. But that also made her think about how much pain they have gone through. She tried to save Devin, but forgot about the damage it would cause to the others, especially Y/n.

Meggy: I feel so terrible. I have caused you all so much pain. I'm sorry.

Mario: No one is mad at you Meggy. You were just trying to save a friend.

The inkling nodded and smiled at the group.

Meggy: Now, back to where we were. Devin and Y/n, they both lived in a terrible orphanage. And in the end, they couldn't take it anymore. They escaped and climbed up the mountain, not knowing that the Underground existed.

Everyone's eyes widened as they were getting the idea.

Meggy: Devin had a kitchen knife with him and he stabbed himself. Surviving the fall, he bleed out and his spirit was trapped at the bottom. Months later, Y/n showed up, and he too fell. He...

She almost forgot that he wasn't around them in this time line, so she had to come up with something.

Meggy: He managed to sneak out of the ruins and showed up at my old post. We became really close friends.

Tari: Wait, then how come we've never met him?

Meggy: Umm... he was, or used to be shy?

They stared at her for a moment before accepting the lie.

Meggy: Yeah. But then one day he just... disappeared. I couldn't find him anywhere. It was almost as if he never existed in the first place.

Bob: Then you found out he was in The Void.

Mario: What about you Desti? Did you also go up to... ya know?

Desti: Oh, no. I loved walking around, but then one day I tripped over a vine and fell. Later I found out it was SMG3.

Bowser: Speaking of that little punk where is he?

SMG3: I have been sitting on this window sill for months!

Everyone looked over to the source if the voice. Behind the curtain was indeed SMG3 and he was a flower again.

Meggy: Why are you a flower again?

SMG3: The lack of the memes made me lose all my powers. So now I'm back as this stupid flower body!

Meggy: Alright then, where was I?

SMG4: Y/n disappeared.

Meggy: Right! So do you see what they have in common?

Bob: A shitty life?

Meggy: Well, yes but not what I was looking for. They didn't have a family. No one to talk to. Until now. We were able to save Devin's spirit and SOUL, bringing him back getting to experience genuine happiness.

Boopkins: And Meggy, Desti and I saved Y/n from The Void!

Meggy: Exactly. Now Betty, from what I've been told from Desti, her main goal is to spread fear. Well she's doing just that with Y/n and Devin.

Bowser: What do you mean?

Meggy: What's the one fear that they have? What's the worst thing that could ever happen to them?

No one answered.

Meggy: Losing their new family. So while you are scared of them getting stronger, they are terrified of losing us. You saw how broken they were when only I died. Imagine how'd they be if we all did.

Everyone who were against Devin and thought of him as scary instantly felt guilty.

Meggy: A man who is scared of losing everything, will do anything in his power to make sure that it stays there. And trust me, they will do anything for to make sure you are all safe.

Everyone nods and apologies to Desti for saying awful things to her about Devin.

Meggy: Now, let Y/n rest a little more time and then let's celebrate my return!

They all cheered quietly, and Meggy leaned back against the couch, having her fingers return to running through your hair here.