Chapter 8: New Life

A week has passed since everyone returned to the surface. Come to find out that Mario has a brother, who welcomed everyone to the castle. His name was Luigi and it was actually him who persuaded Peach to let you all stay here. A few days after coming here, you helped solve a difficult project alongside Boopkins, both of you attaining the position of Royal Scientist. 

Devin quickly gained the respect of Saiko when he said something that pissed her off. He was able to keep up and even match her strength. That impressed her so much that she took him on as her trainee. Speaking of Devin, he keeps looking out in the direction of the city. You know what he was thinking, going to the orphanage.

Y/n: Your not going to go there right?

Devin: Honestly, I don't know. They're just over the horizon, but I also don't want to go back to who I was.

Y/n: This is your choice Devin, and I won't judge you either way. Believe me, if I had more of a backbone, I'd make them all pay for the pain they caused.

Devin: I suppose that makes me feel a bit better. Well, I've got plenty of time to think, let's get inside, its cold out here.

That was two days ago, now everyone was outside. You were training with Meggy trying to see if you had at least the same powers as she did since her magic was with you now.

Meggy: Alright, so first things first, you need to activate it like so.

She closed her left eye as her right eye turned orange and a kraken appeared above her. Seeing that happen surprised you and brought back memories of that day. Meggy quickly noticed the look on your face and deactivated her magic.

Meggy: Y/n, are you okay?!

Y/n: Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Just some bad memories.

Meggy felt guilty.

Meggy: I'm sorry.

Y/n: Don't be, I chose to do this. Plus, I know you might have to use it again should we come across someone more dangerous than SMG3.

She nods and goes back over to where she was. You close your eyes and try to call forth your magic. Soon you felt something and when you open your eyes...

Meggy: Whoa.

Y/n: What?

She leads you to the small lake and leans you over, giving you a good look at your eyes. Your left eye was orange just like Meggy's, but your right was blue. After standing back up you both go back to where you were and continue. She taught you the more basic attacks. For her she summoned tentacles from the ground and or walls if they were around. You tried, and after a few tries you managed to summon bones. Creepy, but effective all the same. She also showed taught you telekinesis. While you couldn't sustain it for long, it was progress. Using this, the two of you decided to help your friends a little. 

Seeing Devin and Desti once again awkwardly conversing with each other, you gave them a little push. With Meggy using her telekinesis she pushed Desti's head forward while you pushed Devin's. They quickly realized what you were doing and tried to stop but it was too late. Their lips connected, and it didn't take long for them to melt in their kiss. But that didn't stop Devin from flicking the both of you off. You both laugh, and get back to your training, as they continue to kiss.

Meggy: Alright, now last but not least, the blaster. It is very difficult and I do not expect you to summon it right now.

And she was right. No matter how hard you tried, you couldn't summon it. You could feel it manifest itself, but it disappeared once it began.

Meggy: Don't worry, you will get it soon. But you are a fast learner.

Y/n: Thanks Meggy.

Meggy: Come on, I'm getting hungry. And we have two cups of noodles waiting for us!

Meanwhile, Devin and Desti finally pulled away from each other, panting for air.

Desti: So... I guess the cats out of the bag. Devin, the time we spent going through the underground was fun. I know I didn't show it, but I was scared. But you were there with me the whole way. Devin, I love you.

Devin: I...I love you too. You were the person who changed me. You gave me a chance, even after you learned the truth about me. Because of you, I willed myself to return to life. I know little of love, but I will try my best, and I will protect you, and everyone here as best I can.

Desti: Same here. These people are nice, and quickly accepted us. And with all this you can redeem yourself. Now let's go join Meggy and Y/n and get some noodles.

As the two of them walked back, they spot SMG3 staring out across the horizon.

Desti: Hey SMG3! Wanna join us!?

SMG3: Why would you want me to join you?

Desti: Look, you were a real asshole back there, but you also freed everyone. Maybe you could turn over a new leaf as well.

SMG3 thought about it for a minute before muttering a quick whatever, and walking over with Desti and Devin back into the castle. Once everyone was back inside, Peach held a toast for everyone. She spoke to SMG4 about everything that happened and she wanted to congratulate and apologize for what the citizens did. You and Devin explain your experience at the local orphanage. Peach was mortified at the scars Devin had, and said that she will have a serious conversation and an investigation of the building and its residents.

Devin: Can I come with you?

Peach: of course, we will go tomorrow.

Now with a reason to go to the hell of an orphanage, Devin tightly gripped the handle of his knife, unknown to the others.