Chapter 20: Nightmare Fuel

You were in your lab, trying to recreate the plans for the CORE down in the Underground. You remember talking about it with Boopkins on your first time running through the pacifist route, and thought it would be a good idea and will put you and your friends in a good light with the city.

The door opens and you hear Meggy's voice.

Meggy: Alright, your next order: hug your girlfriend!

Y/n: You really think you need to order me to do that? I'd hug you all day if we had the time.

Meggy: Hehe... I know. It's just so much fun! Too bad that the bet ends after today.

Y/n: Yeah... such a shame...

Meggy: Sarcasm isn't very nice. Anyway, what are you doing?

Y/n: I am trying to re-create the CORE.

Meggy: Oh, you mean the machine that creates a reliable, non polluting, unlimited source of energy with only a small bit of magic?

Y/n: The very same. I want to give back to Peach for letting us stay here.

Meggy: That's sweet of you. Need any help?

Y/n: I think I got it... I just need to find a stable reactor. I might need to go back to the Underground and get the reactor there. I mean it's not like anyone uses it anymore.

Meggy: You're right. Can I come?

You nod and Devin and Desti walk in.

Devin: I heard something about an adventure. Where we going?

Y/n: ... Where did you come from and who even are you?

Devin: My room and Joe.

Y/n: Wait, Joe?

Devin: Joe mama.

You realize what happened and what you fell for. You take Meggy's hands in yours and hold them.

Y/n: Forgive me Meggy, but I have just been hit with the 'Joe mama' and suicide is my only redemption. I will always love you, even in death.

Devin: Mood.

Meggy looks confused as Desti is laughing at the idiocy of her boyfriend and you.

Meggy: Okay, let's not talk about you killing yourself. I still have nightmares about that day.

Y/n: Sorry...

You look down, ashamed. Meggy puts her finger on your chin and lifts your head up, pecking your lips.

Meggy: It's alright. I know you were trying to be funny. Given any other circumstance and it might have been.

Y/n: Only might?

She nods.

Y/n: Aww...

Desti: Come on what are we waiting for?! Let's go!

You all get a few snacks and when you look over to Desti, you see her put a knife in her pocket.

Y/n: Hold up... you have a knife now?!

Desti: Huh? Oh yeah, Devin made it for me after what happened a few days ago. I told him I wanted to fight now as well. You don't think any different of me, right?

Y/n: Of course not! It was just... different.

Desti: A lot of changes nowadays huh?

Y/n: You got that right...

You look back at all that's happened. Your peaceful runs, the genocide run, sacrificing yourself, the Void, Meggy getting you out. Everything up till now.

And you wouldn't change a thing.

~~~~~

Devin: Well... we're here! And God do I not miss this place.

Meggy: Same here.

Y/n: Well don't worry, we're just here for the reactor then we can leave.

You all enter the Underground and make your way down to the Lab. Along the way, you had to go through the Judgement Hall. Meggy held your hand and closed her eyes. She only pushed herself through looking at this room so she could tell Desti how she did. After that she spent the next few minutes crying.

Seeing the Lab, you take into account that a lot of spider webs covered the building. Devin took one look at the webs and a shiver went down his spine.

Devin: (Fucking... spiders...)

Desti: Are you alright? Your shaking.

Devin: I'm fine! I mean... I'm fine, just surprised that this place is still standing.

Y/n: Yeah... Come on, let's get the reactor.

Entering the abandoned building, you summon a Blaster to make some light.

Y/n: Alright, if I remember correctly, the passage to the interior is somewhere right... here!

You open a panel to reveal a hidden keypad. Entering in the code, a secret door opened up next to it.

Y/n: Voila!

Surprised, everyone follows you down the stairs. After walking for what felt like hours,  you finally made it to the interior the reactor was sitting in the machine, still running.

Meggy: I can't believe it's still running!

Devin: While that's amazing and everything, let's grab the reactor and get out of here before... something shows up.

Y/n: Alright.

You go and activate the purge for the power, draining the reactor of the built up energy. Grabbing the reactor, hold it in a telekinetic grip.

Y/n: Alright, let's get going.

As you walk over to the group, Devin's eyes widened as he looked behind you.

Y/n: What's wrong?

He points behind you and you turn around.
Slowly coming down from a web was a giant spider.

Y/n: A giant enemy spider.

Desti: Alright, come on! Let's-

Devin: RUN AWAY!

He grabs Desti's hand and bolts back toward the entrance. You and Meggy quickly follow.

Desti: Why are we running?!

Devin: EXP and LOVE are acronyms! Well there is another one! FEAR, Fuck Everything And Run!

As you run the sound of the spiders legs stomping behind you.

Meggy: Why are we running?! I can teleport us out of here!

Devin: Sorry! I panicked!

You all quickly take each others hands and Meggy teleports out of the Lab. As you all catch your breath, Desti jumps back as Devin latches himself onto her, shaking so hard that she was shaking as well.

Desti: Devin?

Devin: Fuck spiders. Don't actually fuck spiders but fuck spiders.

Desti: Are you afraid of spiders?

Devin: Very.

She runs her fingers through his hair to calm him down. With the CORE reactor, in hand, you all head back home. After telling Peach about your plans, she thanked you and approved of your new upcoming project.

Desti had to calm down a terrified Devin for the rest of the day.

(No really. I really hate fucking spiders.)