Chapter 24: The SOUL of Fear

Waking up early, you wanted to get farther into one of the books Meggy got you. It was about the different types of SOULS. You only ever saw Determination, but there's also light blue, patience. Orange, which is bravery, explains why her powers are orange. Blue, integrity. Purple, perseverance. Green, kindness. And lastly, Yellow, justice. There's also white, where someone shares a little of every trait, or grey where someone has yet to find their trait.

However, there is one trait that isn't physical, but can be obtained through an intense feeling.

The trait of HATE.

It is said that should one person learn to control this trait in its entirety, instead of being controlled by it, they could become one of the most powerful beings to exist.

You were about to read on, but was interrupted when the door suddenly opened, causing you to accidentally push your cup off the desk.

Meggy: Hey Y/n we are...

She walks in seeing you using some of your powers to keep the mug from hitting the floor. She giggled at the sight and Betty came around the corner, waving.

Meggy: As I was saying, Devin, Desti and I are going to take Betty into town. Need me to get anything?

Y/n: Nah, I should be good. Have fun!

Meggy: we'll be back soon!

You wave to the group, then go back to your reading. A couple hours pass and you reach a book called The Tale of Two Siblings. Grabbing it, it showed the SOUL traits of Determination and Bravery.

Y/n: This looks interesting. The two siblings, both powerful wizards responsible for creating the barrier, had agreed on all during their shared ruling of the Kingdom. However, their opinions on those trapped on the other side differed. The SOUL of Determination wanted to destroy the barrier, while Bravery thought it was a good measure to keep the peace. Confidant, Bravery challenged her brother. If he could prove to be more powerful than she, he could destroy the barrier.

Taking a look at the faded pictures, you can see that the person with the SOUL of Determination looked slightly like you and Devin, but older.

Y/n: Bravery's power was greater, but as the battle continued she felt an incredible strength within her brother. His Determination had no limits, leading him to victory. Bravery felt humiliated... as a consequence of this, she lost her trait, and with it... her magic. She exiled herself, searching for a trait greater than Determination. And alas, she found it.

Taking a sip of coffee, you see a small pink ball roll across the floor. It turned and looked at you with dark pink eyes. You remember that Betty had introduced this thing as Akumu, or Kumu for short.

Y/n: If you're looking for Betty, she's in the city with the others.

It spun around and flew off to the city. Taking one more sip, you return to reading.

Y/n: To change the very essence of your SOUL... a dangerous and forbidden spell. However, she cared not for the laws of magic. She returned once more to challenge her brother. During their final confrontation...

You tried to read the next word but it was too faded to decipher it.

Y/n: ...Her power overcame Determination. This time, instead of growing stronger, Determination lost more and more power as the battle progressed. The Kingdom fell into ruin from the destruction of the battle. She came out victorious. But her SOUL could never adapt to the sudden change.

You rub your eyes, getting a little sleepy from all the reading. But you are also intrigued and force yourself to continue.

Y/n: Knowing her time was running short, she sacrificed her own SOUL to create the most powerful and destructive being imaginable. A creature who's sole purpose is to make sure that there is no such thing as peace.

You flip the page, and are shocked to see the picture of the creature.

It was Akumu.

Y/n: I need to get to the others no-

You suddenly grasp your chest, a sudden pain goes through you as your power... no Meggy's power suddenly vanishes.

~~~~~

The small group are led to a house, Betty's house to be specific. Once they enter, they notice one thing, it was completely abandoned.

Devin: Uh... Betty, are you sure we're in the right house?

Desti: Yeah, there's nothing here.

Betty said nothing, then her little... pet ball floated down next to her.

Betty: Do you all know about the Pink trait? A 'bete noire'.

She closes her eyes and turns to the three. Opening them in a flash of pink.

Betty: The SOUL of Fear!

Everyone was taken back by the sudden change.

Betty: You know Devin, your SOUL is very special. Able to come back from the dead, and went from ghost to physical.

Meggy tried to teleport them out, but a spike through the shoulder made her stop.

Betty: Mind if I take it? Akumu is hungry.

The pink blob made a sinister face as it opened its mouth. Desti got in front of Devin.

Desti: Stay back, I won't let you touch him!

Akumu pulled the spike out of Meggy's shoulder and wrapped around Desti's leg, swinging her up before bringing her back down multiple times.

Devin: Stop it!

Akumu threw her against the wall, knocked out and bleeding. Not paying attention, Betty created a spear from her SOUL and threw it at Devin. However, before it could hit him, Meggy teleported in front of him. The sound of flesh being pierced got his attention as he saw the spear through Meggy's chest, her blood dripping off of it and her SOUL on the end of it.

Devin: M-Meggy... why...?

Betty drew the string connected to the spear and pulled it and Meggy's SOUL over to her. Meggy fell back as Devin caught her, her body slowly breaking apart and fading.

Devin: H-hold on... I'll get help... I-

Betty: Here Kumu, enjoy~

She lifted the SOUL up to the blob who looked at it in hunger.

Meggy looked up at Devin, realizing that this is the first time she's seen him crying. All through put this time, she realized something.

Meggy: I forgive you.

Devin: What...?

Meggy: I realize that I never accepted your apology. So... I forgive you. You became *cough* one of my best friends. Even after everything you've done.

Devin: No... don't say that now!

Meggy: Hey... when you get back, tell Y/n that I... love him. So much.

And with that, Akumu closed his mouth on her SOUL, and her body completely faded away. Devin's body began to shake and a projection of his SOUL appeared above him. The red heart slowly being covered in a black substance.

Devin: You... little brat... She was my friend!

He pulls out his knife and slashes a beam of energy at Betty. Akumu got in front of her and acted as a shield. As he went for another attack, he knew that Meggy would want him to warn the others. Lowering his knife, he grabbed Desti and destroyed the wall, running to the castle.

Betty: Don't worry Kumu, we'll get him later.

Then we'll turn everyone to dust.