ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

➳

Lunar entires the study in the Mikaelson Mansion, finding herself a seat next to Klaus and Rebekah. Elijah moves to stand behind the desk, addressing them all about what he as learnt from Davina.

"Everything that brought us here to New Orleans is a lie." He begins, Lunar glances at Klaus. She knows this conversation isn't for her; yet here she was. Like a member of the family.

"This story that Sophie Devereaux fabricated, this struggle for control of the French Quarter, this war between vampires and witches, wasn't over territory at all, this was over Davina." Elijah continues.

"Eight months ago, Sophie Devereaux and her sister Jane-Anne lost everything. Now, four months after that, a young pregnant girl wanders into their restaurant. Suddenly, all hope is renewed." Elijah looks at Lunar.

"I didn't just wander in. I knew Jane-Anne, she's the witch that warned me about the curse and told me to run. I was trying to get her to help." Lunar protested.

Elijah shakes his head. "Your history with the witches is irrelevant, you appeared at the right time." He says. "Jane-Anne actually sacrificed her life so that her sister can use you to find to Davina, she can return Jane-Anne's daughter back to life. We thought we'd come here to wage a war for power. This is about family. In order to return her niece to life, Sophie Devereaux will fight to the death. That makes her more dangerous than anyone."

Lunar looks at Klaus, for a moment a look of fear passes through her eyes that he can't decipher. Sophie Devereaux holds all her darkest secrets. Sophie Devereaux really was the most dangerous person in New Orleans.

—————

Lunar leans on the back of Klaus' chair, reading the words of A Poison Tree, by William Blake, from over his shoulder. Elijah is with them, studying one of his mother's grimoires, and classical music echos around the room.

Lunar reaches forwards, turning the page for Klaus. He grins, lifting his neck to look up at her.

"So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as family? Vampire book club?" Rebekah enters, eyeing her brothers and Lunar, and then the dead girl sprawled on the coffee table.

"We allow werewolves too, but definitely no witches." Lunar quips, earning herself a laugh from Klaus.

"Reading edifies the mind, sister." Klaus tells Rebekah, returning his attention from Lunar to the book. "Isn't that right, Elijah?"

"Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus." Elijah replies.

"And what's this business?" Rebekah gestures to the girl on the coffee table.

"This is a.." Elijah starts, moving his hands towards the girl too as he searches for the right term, "peace offering." He says.

"I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish." Klaus grins.

"And I explained to my little brother, that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change of behaviour that indicates contrition, and personal growth." Elijah replies, looking at Klaus who simply rolls his eyes.

"Not this nonsense." He continues, gesturing to the girl.

"Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?" Klaus grins.

"Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred year old carpet." Rebekah replies.

Elijah looks up, seeing the girl's blood is beginning to drip onto the carpet. "Ah, yes."