ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇᴛʏ sᴇᴠᴇɴ

➳

Mystic Falls - 10th Century

Teenage Elijah is running through the woods, chasing a young Klaus.

"You cannot catch me, Elijah!" Klaus calls back, laughing joyously.

"You're getting faster, Klaus, but you are not yet fast enough!" Elijah calls, smiling as he hears his brother laughing.

Suddenly, Klaus disappears and Elijah stops in his tracks, confused. "Klaus? Niklaus?" He calls out, but is met by only silence, until a deeper voice answers.

"There you are." The man says, as lightning cracks above them. Young Elijah looks in the direction of the voice to find his future self; face and suit splattered with blood.

"Do you understand?" Present day Elijah questions, placing a hand on the back of his younger self's head. The veins protrude beneath his eyes, fangs bearing, as his face vamps out. "One day, only a monster shall remain."

Frightened, young Elijah grabs his hatchet from his waist and aims it at older Elijah. He dodges it at first, until eventually the young boy is able to jam it into his shoulder.

Present Day - The Abattoir

Elijah remains unconscious, asleep, on his bed. He's breathing erratically, body coated in a sheen layer of sweat, muscles tense, as he dreams fitfully.

Klaus stands over him, talking softly to his brother in an attempt to wake him from the nightmares.

"I know you are locked in battle, however deep in your mind our mother has set the stage. Hear my voice." Klaus says, watching as his brother twitches anxiously in his sleep. "Our mother thinks she will win because she has left you alone, but you are not alone. Let me in."

He places a hand against Elijah's chest now, and the other on his head, in an attempt to gain entry into his brother's mind.

"Let me help end whatever torment she has forced upon you." Klaus' nose starts to bleed, as he gets small glimpses of Elijah's dreams.

Nik groans in pain as he continues to try and fail to enter Elijah's thoughts, before suddenly someone pulls him backwards.

"What are you doing?" Lunar asks, a degree of concern to her features as she looks at the blood pouring from Nik's nose.

He wipes it away now, looking at her. "I'm trying to enter Elijah's thoughts to wake him." Klaus explains, gesturing to his brother has he talks. "Esther has locked me out."

Lunar sighs. "You've been at this for hours." She pulls him closer to her, resting her head against his chest.

"I can't just leave him like this, Lunar." He replies, holding her by the waist and closing his eyes. Her warmth soothes him, calming him.

"I know, I'm just worried about you." Lunar replies softly, and Nik smiles at this. He spins her around so she's facing him, cupping her chin in his hands.

"You, little wolf, are getting soft." He whispers making her grin.

"Shut up!" She tries to pull away, but Klaus just pulls her in closer to him, planting a kiss on her lips.

After a moment, she reluctantly pulls away, glancing at Elijah's sleeping state. Frowning, Lunar steps closer to him to get a better look.

"Is this rash a side effect of the witchy acid trip he's on?" Lunar asks Klaus.

He frowns, taking a look at the petal shaped mark on Elijah's neck. "I haven't seen this since I was a child. Mikael would return home from battle more blindly temperamental than usual, and our mother would use the petals of a rare merlock orchid to put him to sleep. She would mend his mind with a spell, and then wake him with the roots of the same plant." He turns to Lunar.