Chapter One

January 27th, 2020

Alcina

   I won't die. I didn't die then. I certainly won't die now.

I felt the whip send waves of pain over my body. I grit my teeth, sinking them into the rope that was placed between my mouth. I won't die. I won't die. I won't die.

I was tied to a steel post, ropes that looked so weak but they were placed under magic to keep me contained. I had to stand or she would add slashes. I tried to wiggle and move, but the pain would just continue. There was no running from it.

The twenty lashes ended, and I was just left there, shaking in my own adrenaline. I felt the blood of my wounds dripping down my back. "Now you know not to talk back." My master walked around and hissed into my face. Her saliva spraying all over me. My eyes were blinded with rage. I pulled on my ropes teeth bared, but she stepped out of my reach.

"Mm, what a mad dog," her pointed nails grabbed my chin, allowing them to sink into my skin. She had purple eyes and black hair. I hated her. "Cute." She giggled, her fingers trailing down to my neck. To my collar that vibrates with electrical shock. She smiled seeing that it was working, then let me go.

"You remind me of someone," she laughed again, swimming in her own world of insanity. "She was just like you." She wrapped her arm around her torso, then rested her arm. She put her chin on her hand and looked at me like she was admiring me. "She was so young," she clenched her first. "So breakable."

She huffed, stomping her foot. "She got away. You won't." She looked back at me, a wicked smile back on her lips. The look chilled me to the bone.

"I'll see you in a day," another laugh, then she slammed the steel door shut.

I crumbled to my knees, my head hanging low. "I won't die. I won't die. I won't die."

My only hope was the war. The war that was supposed to bring an end to my pain, allow wolves like me who were trapped in the mortal realm to surface and come home.

I was working out in the fields. I was tending to my masters roses and mythical brewing elements. She was inside, someone familiar, I see him around sometimes, had just ran in, looking distressed.

I turned to Anna, my best friend, and my life line. She was probably the only reason I was alive right now. She was saving me from myself. "What do you think is going on?" I reached down and pulled out the root of a plant.

"Maybe it's the war!" She stopped, clutching her hands together, looking up at the sky. She was beautiful, she had pretty green eyes, sandy brown hair, petite body, cute nose. She was a werewolf like me, her family was caught on the other side of the wall when it went up. "Maybe she had finally won!" She grabbed my shoulders, shouting with joy.

"Stop," I shrugged her hands off. "There's no way it would end this quickly." I scoffed, moving up the row.

"But I hear Queen Sheila can take down an entire army of Wendingo's!" I rolled my eyes. "And she's came back from the dead! You hear! An immortal werewolf!" Queen Sheila was the only thing giving all of us useless werewolves hope. Anna fell in line behind me.

Everyone loved Anna, they were always giving her more food. The other slaves would give her extra blankets if she was ever cold. I think it was her small body. Though she gave us someone we needed to protect. She was the youngest one out of all of us. She was only sixteen, a year younger than me.

"Those are all just rumors," I scoffed. "After all, I hear she is a Shadow Wolf." Shadow wolves were cruel and evil creatures and the reason the wall had gone up in the first place. One shadow wolf had joined sides with Kolgrim. The name brought bile to my mouth.