Chapter Five

FEBRUARY 6th, 2020

Alcina

    He won. Again.

    I looked up at the beautiful ceiling that had paintings of white irises surrounded in gold foil and other very expressive looking objects. With my arms behind my head I wondered if I stole from the ceiling would anyone know?

    Wait. No. I don't have to steal anymore. I sighed turning over in my bed to look out the window. I started focus on the things around me. The fire dogs dancing in the light of the candle. They really enjoyed their life. I always wondered how the fire dogs came to be. They only come out at night and shrivel up in the morning.

    I let out a breath and rolled over to the other side. This bed was so comfortable that it was uncomfortable. I've only slept in horrible conditions, when I was a slave, everyone around would huddle together and wrap all of our blankets around us to make sure we stayed warm in the winter. Then in the morning we would all move as one unit to get ready and to conserve all the heat we could. I remember Anna would always be hit in the face by the blanket because she was so short.

    Anna.

    I clutched my heart, or the part of my shirt right above my heart. I looked back to the fireplace. All of a sudden, I could hear the screams of my family and friends shriveling up. I could hear their wails of pain. Could smell their burning flesh in my nostrils, see the smile of the witch that was still somewhere out there. I let out a whimper.

     I sat there for a little while, trying to turn my gaze away from it and look out the window, but I couldn't. Minutes passed and I couldn't stand it anymore, I stood and rushed over to the fireplace. I grabbed the vase from over the top of the fireplace and splashed it onto the fire, it instantly died out. I went limp in relief and dropped the empty vase, flowers and all, onto the floor. It shattered into little pieces.

    I was breathing heavy, my hands going up to the roots of my hair. I sunk to the ground. All that was going through my head was how I couldn't have saved them. Couldn't save Anna from the fire she couldn't escape. How I could be next. How the witch is probably hunting me down at this very moment. Trying to finish the job.

     There was a loud knock on the door and I let out a scream. I couldn't hold it in. I went for the broken pieces of glass. I clutched it in my hand, my knives were in the closet, all the way across the golden floor to the other side of the room.

     "Alcina!" I heard someone shout from the other side of the room. I let out a scream again. It was her. She was here. She's coming to kill me. I looked to the windows, I had to escape. I had to leave. I wasn't safe here. She had found me.

    I scrambled to my feet and ran over to the window. I put my hands on the side of it, trying to jingle with the lock on the side. "Please work. Please work." I gasped out. "Open. Open. Open." I tugged and pulled, the glass still in my hand.

    "Alcina!" The door bursted open and turn, another scream erupted from my throat. I turned while stepping back ready to just slam my body into the glass to get out. I felt two hands wrap around my body.

    I went for the jugular, the glass knife in my hand. But his hand stopped me.

     Wait.

    His hand.

    I looked back to see Cebrus, his purple eyes looking down at me with eyes of worry and pain. It was Cebrus. Cebrus was here. I let out a sigh of relief and I felt my knees go weak. "Alcina," he turned me around so I was facing him. He was holding me up before we lowered to the ground. "Alcina, what's wrong?"

    He looked at my hands, the blood, my blood, on the glass and dripping down my arm. He removed the glass from my hand and tossed it across the room. He then grabbed my cheeks, making me look him in the eyes. He repeated his question, worry lacing every word. "Alcina, what is wrong?"

    "She's coming. She's going to get me." I whimpered, I gripped his shirt, pulling myself into his embrace. He wrapped his arms around me, holding me tight. Where I was in his arms. I felt safe. I felt like someone cared about me. I felt loved.

    "No one is coming to get you." He stroked my back, his words were quiet. He rested his chin on my head and he wrapped his wings around me protectively.

     "No, she's coming. She's coming to kill me." I gripped his shirt tighter. "She killed them, she needs to finish the job. She's going to finish the job."

    "Alcina." He said my name. "Alcina, look at me." Slowly I lifted my head, his eyes were full of rage. Though as I'm held in his gentle embrace, I knew the anger wasn't intended towards me. "No one. And I mean no one will be coming to kill you."

    "But—"

    "No." His gaze hardened. "I don't know who this person is, but she will die." I shivered, there was anger and wrath in his words. "We will find her, and she will die."

    "How?" I hadn't been able to do it. Hell my only thought was to run and hide and live out my life without her ever finding me. That's why I needed to lead a life of isolation and how I'm so scared to be mates with a king. Everyone including my master would know where I am at all times.

    He smiled, a crooked and cold smile, yet so different from the devilish one my master worn. "I am a king." He pushed a hair behind my ears. "I have allies." He kissed my forehead. "And a army."   He kissed my forehead again, "if I want someone dead." He looked into my eyes. "They will die."

    I let out a sigh of relief, letting go of his shirt and leaned into his muscular wings. His feathers were so soft. Much more comfortable than any bed I had ever slept on. I closed my eyes taking in the warmth of this love. Then I opened my eyes, snapping them up to him.

    "Cebrus." He raised a brow, taken off guard by his name off my lips. I smiled softly, the first time I had smiled in what seemed like months.

     "I trust you, mate."

CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE TONIGHT

—CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE TONIGHT

ms-ypHfWC.gif

What are they going to do to take down this witch?

I think I fell in love with Cebrus a little bit more, how about you?

Any song suggestions? I have been listing to the same song over and over and it's time I listen to something new.

COMMENT AND VOTE PWEASE