FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS

Kim doesn't want Drew talking to me, or for us to be friends, but he keeps talking to me, which does nothing to assuage her insecurities where I'm concerned. And all they do is argue.

It's weird being on the opposite end of that debate with him. Usually, Drew and I are together, and I'm the one asking him not to be friends with other girls while he completely ignores my concerns.

He didn't listen to me either...

My friends walk me to first period, and I take my seat waiting for the bell to ring. Drew plops down next to me a few minutes later irritated. His arguments with Kim about him talking to me so much has something to do with it I'm sure.

Out of respect for her, even though she doesn't respect me AT ALL, I keep all conversation with Drew to a minimum, but he keeps glancing over at me. I pretend not to notice because I don't want to read too much into the things he does. The moment I start to feel hope my mind drifts to what could be, and before long I'm back to planning our wedding, and mapping it out in my head.

Reaching into his pocket Drew p 'ulls out a pack of Kit-kats and slides it across the table to me. "Can we please go back to you being my best friend?" He asked.

"In the words of Deborah Cox, one of my mom's favorite singers, we... can't be friends... I'm still in love with you..." I singsong the words to him.

Drew groans. "I could really use a friend right now."

"Have I not been here for you, Drew? 7I still answer your calls and we still talk. So... just talk."

Drew turns to give me his full attention and rubs the back of his neck. "My parents are arguing again, and you know I don't talk to anyone but you about that stuff. Everyone else just wants to hear how perfect my life is, but with you I don't have to pretend. I can be real with you."

"What about Kim?"

"I can't be honest with her either."

Then why are you with her...? Ugh!

I hate seeing him like this. His parents' marriage has always been a stressor for him. He idolizes his dad and cherishes his mom, but their marriage has been rocky since we were kids.

His father cheated on his mother, then his mother cheated on his father, and I'd be willing to bet a years' worth of allowance one of them has cheated again. Their relationship is volatile even on a good day, and I believe Drew's dad is the main problem. When his mom cheated, it was for revenge after years of enduring his father's affairs.

"If I'm going to be your therapist, I want a hundred dollars every time you need my services and that's in addition to kit-kats." I grin, cracking open the package and sliding him a piece.

"Wow. You're extorting me now?" He shoots me an incredulous look and laughs.

"Damn straight. If I was your girlfriend my services would be free... just a little food for thought."

Drew's lips curl up into his signature, sexy, megawatt smile, stealing my heart all over again. There are no words to describe how in love with him I am, which only makes his needing to confide in me bittersweet. On one hand I'm glad Kim could never fill my shoes as his emotional support person, but on the other hand, we're still not together. He's with her.

"Fine," he reaches into his pocket, pulls out a hundred-dollar bill, and slides it across the table to me. "But this is an expensive friendship."