FLAGGED

I took a lot of things from my conversation with Grams that I immediately put into action, starting with spending less time with Drew. I need to focus and figure out what I want. A decision that doesn't sit too well with him.

Nothing really changed between us other than the fact that I wasn't as available to him as I was before, but it's driving him crazy. If we aren't together, we're arguing about the fact that we aren't together, and how he thought I was seeing someone else. Namely Quincy. Even though I'm not.

The truth is I'm seeing MYSELF. I'm determined to get back some of the control I lost with Drew by making me the center of my universe.

"These clues are ridiculous," Patrice complains. We picked up our scavenger hunt packet three days ago and we've been stuck on the first clue ever since. "Searching for answers? Need the missing link? Find the next clue inside of a sink."

"We've literally checked every sink in both the boys and girls' locker rooms, and bathrooms," Chloe adds.

"What about the cafeteria or the teachers' lounge?" Quincy asks.

The three of us look at Quincy with huge smiles. None of us thought to look in either of those places because we figured they were off limits to students, and not a part of the scavenger hunt. Although, the rules never stated that.

The three of us take off leaving Drew, Quincy, and Jason to play catch up. We only have a certain amount of time between classes to work on clues, and according to the announcements every period, Dreux and Kimberly are already on their third clue.

We stop just outside the cafeteria and look around. One of the rules of the scavenger hunt is you can't get caught slipping into places where students are not allowed.

Like behind the counters of the cafeteria...

Patrice slips into the cafeteria undetected and we stand watch. It feels like forever before she emerges again, empty handed, which only leaves the teacher's lounge. This is our first freaking clue and already it's an impossible task. There's ALWAYS a teacher in the teachers' lounge.

"How are we going to get the teachers out of the teachers' lounge long enough to get our clue out of the sink?" I groan.

We're running out of time and we'll have to go to class soon...

"You could always have Drew use his charm and take one for the team," Jason suggests.

"If we do that, they'll know we're up to something." Chloe shakes her head.

While they're sitting there, I stare off into space trying to come up with ideas. That's when I realize our answer is staring me right in the face. Hurrying over to the wall beside the lockers, I look both ways down the hall to make sure no one can see me and pull the fire alarm.

The alarm blares, causing them to jump and I spring into action. "Sid, what the hell?" Quincy frowns at me.

"Get outside and cover for me. I'm going in. They'll be evacuating the school assuming it's a drill, which means-"

"No teachers in the teachers' lounge," Jason smiles.

"Exactly, now go. I'm only going to have a short window before someone comes looking for me."

Without waiting for them to reply I slip into the sea of kids swarming to get out of the building and into the nearest supply closet closest to the teachers' lounge. If any of the teachers decide not to go along with the practice drill, I'm screwed. So, while I bide my time, I'm praying they all just follow along.