INTERROGATION

The mavericks are up to ten clues and we've finally made it to eight. Whatever is slowing them down has worked in our favor and now that team Gladiators are not at each other's throats, things are going a lot faster.

My donor, Mia, and my little brother Sean are in town for a week and they're staying at Grams' in the hopes of being able to spend some time with me. For once I don't feel awkward about it. I'm actually looking forward to it. I haven't seen them in a while, and it gives me the perfect excuse to spend less time with Drew.

"How have you been?" My donor, Jay, asks.

"Good." I flash him a weak smile.

He raises a skeptical brow at me. "Just good? How's things going with your mom and Byron's son?"

I never told him Drew and I were back together. The only person I told was Mia and a glance in her direction tells me everything I need to know. Whatever I tell her will get back to my dad. Thank God I never told her I was sleeping with Drew.

"I haven't spoken to my mom in a while, but Drew and I are great."

"Jay did you know she's sleeping with that boy?" Grams snitches on me.

Mouth hanging wide open I aim a shocked glance in her direction.

Note to self... never tell Grams anything I don't want my dad to know...

Turning to face me he asks, "You're using protection, right?"

"I'm on birth control if that's what you're asking."

"And he's using protection?"

I open my mouth to lie, but it won't come out. If this were Bill, whose been nothing but horrible to me my whole life, the lie would've slipped out with ease. But Jay... my dad, is a lot harder to lie to. I can't. He's done more for me in the short time we've been father and daughter than Bill has in seventeen years.

Disappointment crosses his face. "Look, if you're going to be stupid enough to have sex when neither of you are equipped to handle the consequences, at least be smart enough to make him put a raincoat on."

"What?" I frown.

"A condom. Make sure he wears a condom."

"Yeah," Mia nods in agreement. "Birth control is how we ended up with Sean. You can't put your faith in birth control alone."

Which is what I keep saying to Drew, but he says he doesn't like the feel of condoms...

I feel like my hands are tied. Drew won't listen and I'm tired of having that fight with him. It's easier just to leave it alone.

"Okay. I'll make sure he wears one." I lie.

"Is that an engagement ring?" Mia asks.

OMG! Can this interrogation be over already...? I want to spend time with them... not be given the third degree for a week...

"Yeah. He wants to get married the day after graduation."

"What's the rush?" My donor frowns.

"I don't know, Jay," I shrug. "Why don't you ask him?"

"Why don't you start calling me dad, and okay... invite him over."

This visit just went from bad to worse. Now he wants me to invite Drew over so he can grill him. "I just remembered he has something to do today," I quickly reply.