REALITY

The sun is peaking through my bedroom window and I'm exhausted, but I have to get ready for school. Rushing, I throw on the outfit I picked out the night before and quickly hop in the shower. The cold morning air helps to wake me up, and after getting dressed I hurry out to the kitchen to eat breakfast.

Drew is already up. He slides me a plate of food he made for me, and I wolf it down in no time flat. As I'm wiping my mouth an envelope falls out of my napkin. Its red and it has my name on it.

I look up at Drew who's smiling. "Open it." He tells me.

My heart is beating fast and I'm hoping this is what I think it is. Tearing open the envelope and pulling out the card inside, hope blossoms in my chest. That tiny bud of hope blooms into complete joy when I open the card to read it and confirm it is exactly what I think it is... an invitation to prom from Drew!

Tears form in my eyes and my emotions take over. I was worried he would ask Vanessa to prom instead of me, because for the past three years we've been together, off and on, he's always taken other girls.

After everything we've been through this means more to me than he probably realizes. After four months of worrying, and the current circumstances surrounding our relationship this is the first real sign I've gotten from him that he still loves me as much today as he did before our parents blew up our lives.

Drew comes around the table, gets down on one knee and hands me a single red rose he pulls out of his jacket. It's corny, but the fact that he's willing to be corny for me says a lot about where his head is at right now. "Sidney Elise Stansfield, will you go to prom with me?"

"Yes." I nod emphatically, pulling him into a hug.

"I'm sorry I hurt you, and I hope this helps to make it up to you." He apologizes for the millionth time, squeezing me in his arms.

Nodding, tears fall from my eyes and I quickly wipe them away. THIS is the Drew I like. This is the Drew I fell in love with ten years ago. "It helps." I assure him.

"Good, because I really am sorry Sid. I mean it. I hate seeing you cry, and you've done a lot of that lately because of me."

"Well, it can't be easy to be in your shoes either. Your mom depends on you for everything. She has all her hopes and dreams pinned on you."

"Yeah." He nods sinking deep into thought.

"Just don't forget about you while you're out there taking care of everyone else." I tell him.

His smiles and nods. "I won't."

We sit down to go over details for prom and finish our breakfast before heading off to school. When we arrive, Kimberly Caldwell, the other bane of my existence, approaches Drew's car.

Curious, I watch them wondering what she could possibly want. I didn't even know they were talking again.

I'm not the only one glaring at her though. Vanessa looks like she's ready to cut her. And whatever Drew's talking to Kim about, must be about me because they both look in my direction at the same time.

"I hope you know what you're doing with him," Patrice startles me. "I'm worried about you Sidney. And so is everyone else."

"I'm fine," I assure her. "After our talk he got rid of Vanessa, and he's back to being sweet and thoughtful. He's even taking me out on a date tonight."

"Has he decided to stay in Sac for college then? Or is he still leaving? And if he's leaving, how the hell are you and Drew supposed to be together? Have you thought about that?"