JOYOUS

It's not him... it's not him...

As my heart rate returns to normal along with my breathing, those three words resonate in my head. The man in the hoodie isn't the hooded man who's been stalking me. He's just an innocent bystander here to enjoy a night of karaoke like the rest of us.

After assuring him I'm fine, he leaves, and I come face to face with a worried Drew. "What's going on, Sid. Who is this guy you're afraid of?"

I knew Drew and I would have to have this conversation sooner or later. My very public meltdowns have all but made it an inevitability at this point. I just hoped I could avoid it for a while longer.

That being said, the last thing I'm going to do is lie to him. So, taking a deep breath, I tell him the truth... all of it. About the mysterious man in the hoodie who seems to be following me everywhere. And about him breaking into the house I share with Drew to prove a point. Drew exhales deeply and takes a step backwards.

"Why are you just now telling me this?"

"Because the last time I kept something from you, it cost me."

He sinks deep in thought, his gaze lowering to the floor for a moment before meeting mine again. "Do you think it's Candor?"

"I don't know. He seems familiar but I can't place him."

"Is this because of those girls you were trying to help?" He asks.

"No. I stopped all that like you asked me to. Candor has no reason to come after me. That's why this doesn't fit. Why come after me now when they've already gotten away scot-free? My death would raise suspicions they don't want raised."

Again, Drew sinks into contemplation. He opens his mouth to speak when his phone goes off. He answers his phone and his expression quickly turns grave. I wait for him to hang up before asking him what's wrong.

"It's my mom..." he answers. "I gotta go."

Drew is my ride. So, when he leaves to get Scott, and they both head for the door, I follow. He's driving so crazy though I wish I would've stayed at Hamburger Patty's.

We make it to Sutter Memorial Hospital and Drew tells a security guard he's looking for his mom. After giving her name, we're instructed on where to go, and follow the security guards' instructions to the emergency room.

That's where I learn why his mom is in the hospital. Someone ran her off the road tonight and she totaled her car. She's in critical condition.

Drew takes one look at his mom and it's as if he's been struck by lightning. Scott immediately breaks down in tears and Patrice is quickly at his side. Me... I'm still waiting for Drew to do more than stare at his mom lying in that bed.

Slowly he approaches her bedside and puts his hand over hers, lacing their fingers together. He sits down in the bed beside her and lifts her hand to his lips, kissing the back of it. He still hasn't shed a tear though and I'm worried about him. He's the strong silent type until he erupts one day like a volcano.

I sit and wait for his reaction, holding my breath. It isn't until she groans and turns towards him, opening her eyes that his expression changes. "Drew." She says barely above a whisper, cupping his face with her hand.

"Mom," he chokes up. "What happened?"

She clears her throat and tries to speak, but only raspy air comes out. He tries to tell her it's okay, and to save her voice. But she's not listening. "I... was run off the road." She finally manages to say.