A FRIEND SCORNED

Living with my mom and Drew's dad is interesting to say the least. My mom is a completely different person with Drew's dad than she was with Bill. I often find myself wondering exactly who the woman that gave birth to me is, because I'm not so sure anymore. The woman I thought was my stepdad's doormat I now realize is capable of more than I gave her credit for. And she gave birth to me.

So, what does that make me...?

I'll be just like her if I keep secrets from Drew. He deserves to know the truth about our parents, and I'm going to tell him. Even if it means suffering unfathomable consequences. Whatever they might be.

Only, nestled in his arms, I can't bring myself to tell him. We're on common ground. We're not at each other's throats and he's being the sweetest, caring, most romantic person in the world right now.

He bought me flowers and a teddy bear to make me feel better about being forced to move in with my mom. Anything I need, he gets it for me no questions asked. He even completely decorated the room in his house for me, with his mom's help of course. If that wasn't enough of a sign that Drew's serious about our relationship, he plays nice with my mom so we can keep seeing each other.

My mom and I have an understanding. I'll play nice and abide by her rules, as long as Drew finds out about her and his dad from me. Surprisingly, Drew's dad agrees to it too, but like my stepdad, my mom has him wrapped around her finger.

Today is one of those rare days where Drew and I have some much-needed alone time. After picking out a tree, decorating it, and placing some gifts for each other under it, we find a place on his sofa to get comfy and watch movies together.

Lying in his arms with my head against his chest, listening to his heartbeat, I can't imagine spending the rest of my life with anyone else.

He falls asleep during the second movie and the rythmic sound of his breathing eventually lulls me to sleep too. It's Saturday, and we have nothing to do. Scott is staying over at Patrice's since her mom is out of town.

Drew has our entire weekend planned, with the exception of tonight. Chloe is throwing a Christmas party at her place since she'll be out of town for Christmas visiting some of her relatives in Connecticut. So, before we party hard tonight, we're both catching up on some sleep.

I'm only asleep for a short time when I feel something cold and sharp at my neck. My eyes fly open, I flinch, and hiss as the knife firmly held against my throat creates a superficial wound.

The fog in my mind becomes clear and my eyes fixate on the man in the hoodie leaning over me. His eyes are a dull blue, but the rest of his face is covered with a mask.

Still, I know those eyes...

I remember falling asleep on Drew and I feel around for him with my hand. He's still lying beneath me, sleeping peacefully, and unaware of the man looming over us.

"I wouldn't worry about him," the knife-wielding man huffs. His voice muffled to disguise it. "With the number of drugs, he has swirling around in his system, I'd be surprised if he woke up at all tonight."

"What did you do to him?"

"I put a sedative in his drink."

"Why? What do you want?"

"You'll find out soon enough." He smirks.

He lunges at me, covering my mouth and nose with a cloth in his free hand, until I succumb to whatever chemicals are on the cloth.