Chapter three

*becoming the king*

Ed's POV

Fear

Fear was the only thing I could feel at that moment

Running for my life through the woods barely missing a tree in the process and tripping over my own feet attempting to get a look over my shoulder at the creature hunting me

I felt as if it was a game for it ,chasing me ,materializing on one of my sides each time steering me towards a different direction ,I struggled to catch my breath as I ran as fast as my feet could carry me

Hearing some twigs snap on my right I turned to look only to find myself faced with red menacing eyes staring into my soul, I felt some kind of liquid tickling my chest looking down I was horrified to see my blood gushing out of the big gap in my chest and seeing the creature's pale hand holding my beating heart that has been detached from body.

I let out a scream as I felt the pain finally settle in my chest

"Ed? Can you hear me?" I heard a soft voice coming from somewhere above me, was I dead?i looked around trying to find the source of the echoing voice

It sounded so angelic, maybe I was dead

Suddenly my eyes shot open feeling someone desperately shaking my shoulders

"Wake up! Ed!"I watched Talia yell in my face looking worried with her eyebrows knotted together ,"stop yelling I'm up" I replied annoyed before running the back of my arm on my forehead noticing I had been sweating .

"You had another nightmare didn't you?" she asked with a frown on her beautiful face

Yes is what I wanted to say but I couldn't stand having her worry even more about me "no just dreamt I fell from a building" I lied to her face hoping she wouldn't catch on

She watched get out of bed with her hands on her hips sensing my dishonesty but not saying anything else about the subject, I looked back as I pulled out a shirt and some jeans to change into laying them on bed before heading towards the shower.

I heard her voice coming from behind the door as she spoke "your uncle is expecting you for lunch today, he's been asking about you again Ed"I rolled my eyes discarding my sweaty clothes into the hamper and getting under the shower "isn't he always?" I answered huffing in annoyance.

He couldn't let it go could he? I told him time and time again I'm not ready to be king yet and I will sure enjoy my life being free of responsibilities until I'm shoved onto a throne I never asked for ,a couple of years, that's all I had before my 21st birthday then I can kiss my freedom goodbye .

And to top that I had to choose a wife to be a queen with me, I already knew who my mind settled on when I thought about marriage and children, starting a family, but of course that was unacceptable even after being the most powerful person in the whole kingdom my uncle refused to listen to me, "she has to be of a noble family" he said.

That was only one of the reasons why I refused to have him tutor me on what to do and not do and having to put up with hours of listening to strategic military plans that I wasn't interested in.

I ran my hand through my hair in frustration and tried to shake the unpleasant thoughts from my head as I quickly finished washing up and stepped out of the shower wrapping a towel around my waist ,I wiped the foggy bathroom mirror with my palm taking a look at myself ,gripping the edges of the marble sink my knuckles turning white "tell him I won't make it Talia ,you know I never take his offer for interaction" I said bitterly and gasped stepping back as I noticed the sides of the sink crumbling into my fists as if it was made of sand.

"I understand but one of these days you'll have to accept it" her voice brought me back to reality as I dusted my hands off puzzled by the force I suddenly had, guess I didn't know how angry I was

I stepped out of the bathroom into my bedroom and watched her blush furiously realizing I was only in a towel "put some clothes on "she said shyly as she turned around "I'm not the one that stuck around while someone else showered" I teased

I was happy to have someone like her as my best friend; growing up together I was referred to as the young prince and she as girl or Talia when they actually treated her like a human being, just because she came from a servant family didn't mean she was anything less to me.

She used to get yelled at for calling me by my first name by her father as he told her it was disrespectful, but being kids we never knew what that truly meant and just went along with until I was eleven and had a fit screaming back at her father to "shut his mouth" and that she could call me whatever she liked because she was among the closest people to me and that I would have him kicked out of the palace if he ever yelled at her again.

That seemed to solve most of her issues considering he stopped pestering her and only sent her nasty looks when he thought I wasn't looking, I might be cruel but I won't lie and say I was upset to hear of his passing away due to old age and illness.

Even her mother was close to my own and as my babysitter as a child she practically raised me and told me so many memories of my own mother that I failed to meet as she had died giving birth to me, I felt a pang of pain in my chest feeling it tightness as I thought about her ,I truly believed her life would have been better off without me ending it .

Don't forget to vote and comment:)