9-Flash

I laid upstairs, twiddling with my fingers and staring at the ceiling. Another dream.
My heart raced at the thought of having more dreams. It was something about them, that made me feel belittled. I wasn't in control. It didn't feel natural.

I had to stop thinking about it.
Sighing, I picked up my phone and started tapping on the little icons. Technology.
There was an app, that had brown at the top and beige at the bottom, with a camera in the middle.
Instagram, It was called.

I widened with a smile, as I was blasted with pictures of New Years celebrations, that wrote
'2013'.

Although New Years was a couple months back, I still remember the celebration. We stood around the balcony, in the girls' room and we watched as fireworks splashed the sky.

That had to be, what, our fifth New Year?
No. What was I thinking?
We had been in this Earth for centuries.

But I can't keep on stressing on the fact that it didn't feel like centuries. But why?

Did time go fast for us?
Is that something that Carol can control?

Was it some illusion of hers? Who knows?

I was swiping down, until I reached a picture of a group of teens, huddled together. They wore blazers, with red embezzled in the collar and the tie. An attractive young man was in the middle and another young girl was on his side smiling straight at the camera. There was four of them.
They looked so happy.

My smile dropped into a frown and then into a venomous pucker.
I wonder what life would've been like, if Methaya didn't exist.
Mother would've been alive, as well as father.
We all would have been together. Happy.

I then trailed off, wondering what life would've been like, if we never had powers to begin with.
In Opentam, as far as I can remember, we didn't go to school because royals are far too important to mingle with mortals. Anyways during our teen years, we stayed in the second castle which was isolated away from everyone, as the other one had got breached- you know when Methaya had- yeah.

If we never had this burden, we could've indulged in school and made friends.
Relationships. Love. We could've lived.

I could've lived.

I groaned and dropped my phone on the desk. STOP THINKING ABOUT IT. I thought as I tapped my head.

Someone knocked the door.

"Yes?" I spat.

Jess came waddling in. She was so tiny, that I had to turn towards her to speak. She was a cute, tiny though.

"Not another meeting." I said whiningly.

"N-no. I need to speak to you." She stuttered.

I motioned towards the bed and she sat down stiffly.

"Ember. Why did you lie?"

I chuckled confusingly.
"I didn't."

"Ember." Said Jess firmly, as she furrowed her eyebrows and pursed her lips.