Chapter 17: A New Rivalry.

Kallie and Josh opened their eyes and were immediately met with the sound of their old friends trying to break the shield Ped had created. The only ones not banging against the force field we're Nancy and Alex. Bullets bounced off, melee weapons broke upon contact, and fists were really just useless. They stopped however when the pair stood up.

Jackson: Shit...

Rose: Not good...

Violet: Ummm...

Zoe: Crap...

Rachael: Oh no...

Josh's hateful glare instantly set on them but Kallie was quick to intervene before he lowered the force field.

Kallie: Josh, let's go home.

Josh: Not until I kill them.

She then spoke to him with more command in her voice.

Kallie: Josh...now.

He looked at her for a few moments before turning back to the people he once called friends. His glare softened over time and he gave them a low growl before turning back to Kallie.

Josh: Fine, I'll end them another day. You have been through a lot so let's get home.

Something in his tone worried her. Usually he talked to her with a respectful and loving tone, but now...he just sounded hateful to her. So she summoned an exact replica of his shield and surrounded them so their conversation would be private.

Kallie: Josh, what's wrong?

Josh: I don't want to talk about it.

Kallie: Is this because of Ped's deal?

Josh: No.

Kallie:...Do you regret saying no to him?

Josh:...A little, but I'd rather be here in this damned world with you than in paradise without you.

Kallie: Then tell me what's wrong.

He then turned his back to her with a frown.

Josh: I don't want to talk about it.

Kallie: Josh...

Josh: I. Don't. Want. To. Talk. About. It.

Kallie: Little brother, you will tell me what's wrong. It's my job as your big sister to take care of you. So please, tell me what's wrong. I want to help.

Without thinking, he glanced over his shoulder to give her a death glare as his demonic eye transformed to his monster one.

Josh: I SAID I'M FINE!!!!!

Kallie took a step back in fear. Her jaw hung open as she stared at him in shock. She couldn't remember the last—if he ever did—snap at her like that. If something was bothering him enough to cause aggression toward her then it needed to be handled. Josh, however, realized what he did and pinched the bridge of his nose.