XVII

I folded my legs and sat on the couch. I grabbed the laptop I bought and scrolled through my email. I fixed my glasses on my face. They were reading glasses so I didn't need them all the time. I snuggled into the thin jacket that I had on. I decided it was best if I just rested for a while. A week has passed since that night. It's been a week since I spoke to Cole. I sighed. I took up a cigar and lit it. I exhaled the smoke and held the cigar between my two fingers while I typed.

I smirked hacking into Dino's computer. Yes, I know this was wrong. But look at the bright side, a very evil man was going away for sometime. I withdrew his files and then left without leaving a trace. I went through the images he had and the documents he kept. I cringed. He was disgusting. I saved the files to my computer and email just in case something happened. I also hid the file in Hazel's phone. Just in case.

I pulled back the cigar to my lip. A knock sounded. I groaned and pushed my feet in my bunny slippers walking to the door. It was the dead set middle of the night. Who the hell was that? I looked through the peep hole. My breathe hitched as I opened the door. He looked down at me. I gulped. My height was a big pain right now.

"Hey." He said.

"Hi."

"Can I come in?" He asked. I shook my head.

"What are you doing here? It's after 12 in the morning. Don't you have work tomorrow?"

"Shouldn't you be at work right now?"

"It's my day off." I said. He nodded.

"I'm sorry about the other day. I was really out of line. I just thought we were on that level we would tell each other anything." He said. I immediately felt guilty.

"Cole, I don't know what we are. But I would like not to disrupt what we have. Which means, don't question things. That will get you in trouble." I said.

"I know. How about you let me take you out tomorrow night? I talked to your boss and he said I could. So how about it?" He asked.

"Are you asking me on a date?" I said folding my arms.

"Officially, yes. Please?" He asked giving me the puppy eyes. I sighed.

"Fine." I said. He smiled and kissed my head. My heart raced. I didn't expect that.

"I'll pick you up at 8. Wear something comfortable." He said before heading off. I rolled my eyes and locked my door.

He was a weird one.

***

I stared at the building and got out the car. Cole had picked me up at 8p.m, just like he said he would. He didn't tell me where we were going so I wore a black fitted pants and a blue t-shirt with my blue sneakers. Cole smiled at me taking my hand and leading me to the entrance. I was at a bowling house. It was weird.

"Shoe sizes?" A man asked with boredom. Cole told him out sizes and we were handed shoes. I stared at him.

"How do you know my shoe size?" I asked. I had small feet. It wasn't shocking considering my height.

"My little brother wears the same size as you. Your feet are really small you know."

"They aren't that small."

Sometimes people made it seem like being short was the end of the world. I wasn't a dwarf. Just short for my age. Usually by my age you should be 5'9 or so, depending on your genes. But it look like I took after my mother's height. My mother was a petit figure, 5'5 to be exact. She had ginger red hair with emerald green eyes. She had freckles when she was younger. As you can probably tell, I was my mother's replica apart from my hair. I got that from my father.

Our bowling night was not so great but I had fun. I dropped the ball several times and Cole kept losing. We were now off to get food. I've never laughed so much in a while. We ordered food at McDonalds but I was too lazy to eat inside so we decided to eat in the car. I stared at Cole. We had begun to play games and talk.

"Alright! DC or Marvel?" He asked. I groaned.

"DC all the way." I said smiling. He cringed.

"We are like, so over!" He said going 'diva'. I started laughing. He was doing the hand gestures with a girly voice. It was so weird.

"Stop! Just stop!" I said laughing trying to catch my breath.

"It will always be Marvel. DC ain't got nothing on Marvel." He said stealing my fry. I rolled my eyes stealing back a fry from him.

"First of all, leave my food. You have your own. Secondly, the fuck? Marvel obviously is the one who has nothing on DC." I said snapping my fingers trying to mimic his diva.

He laughed which made me laugh. He was contagious. We stayed like that in pure bliss for the night. He drove me back home. I smiled when he stopped outside my apartment. I stayed in the car in silence. He leaned over to kiss me but I leaned back.

Seeming to get the message, he didn't try again. His face looked so dejected. I sighed. I didn't want this to happen tonight. I kissed his cheek.

"Thank you for tonight. I enjoyed it very much." I said. He nodded trying to act like he wasn't hurt but I knew better. I sighed, "I don't want to get attached." I whispered.

It was the truth. I still hid myself from him. And if I got attached, I would slip up and he would get hurt. The thought alone scared me. I sighed. Cole lifted my chin and kissed my lips softly. He smiled.

"It's not that bad once you give it a chance." He said. I nodded sighing. I got out the car and smiled at him, waving him goodnight. He smiled and sped down the road. I headed up to my apartment. I entered and made sure that my doors were locked.

I sighed and laid on my bed. Thoughts rushing through my mind. I've been living in this town for 2 years. It was on the other side of the world from Dino. But I guess I didn't go far enough. Instead of running, I was planning on just making him fail instead. I was grateful that this town have the death sentence. So if he got caught, his crimes would give him the death penalty.

I sighed. I haven't heard from him in 3 years. My birthday was fast approaching and I didn't feel like celebrating it. It was the worst memory of my life and ever since my 16th birthday, I've hated it. I brought my knees to my chest and hugged myself. The memories making me sick to my stomach. Tears slipped from my eyes. I wanted this to stop. And knowing that I had a bit of help was making it all the more worth it.

I closed my eyes and watched the darkness flood in. I drifted off into a peaceful nightmare.

***

Sigh. I feel so bad for my baby.

I'm just gonna clear up something right now thou. So his past experience happened near/on his 16th birthday. When he was 16, he escaped and he's been on the run ever since.

His birthday is almost coming so, he will be 19 soon. So that's 3 years ago.

I'm excited to know what his reasons are. Are you?

Love y'all

Remember

Vote
Comment
And Share!

MsComplex💋