Chapter 17: "Does this plan include a sombrero?"

Chapter 17:  “Does this plan include a sombrero?”

                Henry sat tied in a metal chair that was rooted to the middle of the floor.  The room he was locked in looked like a cell. It had cement walls and flooring, but no carpeting. His head hung low letting his frizzy brown locks fall over his face. His hands and feet were bound to the chair with what looked like a mixture of zip ties and regular rope.  The picture was blurry, so you couldn’t see much except his outline.

                My breathing stopped when I looked to the floor by his feet. A small circle, that has to be larger by now, of a dark substance sparkled with that flash. My eyes quickly looked over his body but I couldn’t see much of anything.  A part of his shirt, by his hip, looked darker but from the angle of the shot you couldn’t tell if it was blood or not. My body was frozen as I stared at the non-moving figure in this picture. My hand shakily shot out to touch the screen, keeping it from going black.

Third Person.

Six hours ago.

                Henry cussed at the closed gas station. He was already running late but needed a pack of cigarettes before he could leave. Running a hand through his long shaggy hair he looked frustrated at the cars that passed not one of them slowing down. Henry kicked a pebble on the sidewalk as he started to make his way through the alleyways, trying to find another gas station or somewhere that sold the addictive nicotine.

                A male figure trailed after Henry but didn’t get noticed. The male was taller, stronger, and older than Henry. Henry was so caught up in his thoughts he didn’t notice or check to see if anyone was following him. That’s where he made his second mistake. His first was going out by himself without any protection.

        The man was almost happy at how easy this job was, but he felt disappointed also. He heard about Henry, not all good things. He heard that Henry and his posse were hard to take down almost impossible.  The man felt like he had mistaken him for the wrong man but the man he was following looked exactly like the one in the picture.

        Henry froze in front of the man for a second thinking he heard something. Henry’s body went rigid, waiting for something to happen. His hand slowly traveled down to the waistband of his sweats but didn’t find anything there.  He froze in shock; he’s never forgotten his gun before. Henry turned quickly to face the man who had been following him. The man was leaning against the soggy brick wall of the alley way with a knowing look.

        “Who the hell are you?” Henry growled out clenching his fist. He was more mad at himself then the man.

        “What makes you think you’re in any position to question me?” He man said cockily. This man had an undying ego. His responses seemed to only make Henry angrier. Henry’s eyes cut into the man’s like glass but that didn’t make the man stand down. Sizing up the man Henry knew he would lose, the man had to have a gun on him some place. If Henry could get to it before the trigger was pulled he’d live but if not he would die.

        Henry let out a non-humor laugh before speaking, “You think you can take me down? Sorry pal but you have another thing coming. Did the Boss send your pathetic ass out to check up on us’?” Henry narrowed his eyes.  “We had a deal to meet him in England.”

        The man pushed himself off of the wall and made his way to Henry. Henry stood his ground not moving a single finger. That only seemed to amuse the man.  Both of their eyes never left another’s. It was like the game of predator or prey; whoever’s eyes leave first will be the prey.  Henry eyes started to burn from not blinking, but he didn’t pay any attention to it.