concordia discors

-interim-

discordant harmony.

that song of horrible beauty.

rings true inside his head. 

here, mr. kim's mind sounds horrible.

there, taehyung's thoughts sound lovely.

-

-

welcome to concordia discors.

the slippery strain of memories.

we.Lc0m3 to Taehyung's MIND.

+

2009, march 23

+

third person POV

cheers. clapping. screams of utter insanity from the stands, all urging, compelling their children to go faster. to swim faster.

to win the race. 

mothers allow themselves to spit into the air, into the hot stuffy pool room, if it will mean their kid will take the title. the junior elite title. the one and only spot to go to the national competition.

but not all parents cheer so enthusiastically. some just stand, staring their kids down, hoping that by some act of a deity larger than them their piercing gaze will serve to make their child land on the top spot of the podium. 

even if it means the others will drown.

taehyung hears the shouts, knows they are not meant for him. every time he rises out of the choppy water for air, he lets those useless claps fly past his ears. his father does not cheer for him, and he knows it. taehyung knows, however, that his father is far more enthusiastic about him winning than he shows on the outside.

he's just silent about it. watchful. he has quiet faith in his only son, something that his wife never has.

never had.

taehyung's breaths come out hot, fast, as he finishes the freestyle. his arm slices through the water, hatred towards his competitor rising as his goggle-covered pupils spot the boy next to him. 

the boy whose arm is deathly close to the wall.

taehyung thinks the boy might have beaten him, might have destroyed his unbeatable track record for the spot on the national team. when he rises out of the water-

"first place: kim taehyung!!"

the loud speaker echoes down the lanes, bouncing through the bleachers and tumbling into taehyung's waterlogged ears. his eyes flick to the scoreboard, happiness pushed aside by something much stronger.