27.

"Alpha!" Charlie jumps at me, making me fall at her weight even though she's lighter than me. I rub my lower jaw on her head and shift my body, trying to stand up. Charlie then stands on her feet, looking at me with guilt-filled eyes.

"I'm sorry for what I have done!" I smile mentally at her.

"It's alright, Charlie."

"You can give me any punishment you want!" she shouts at my face, inching closer to me and makes me take a step back from her. I dart my eyes around the rest of the pack, asking them for help through my eyes. They didn't get what I mean.

"Again, it's ok. You don't have to be punished." Charlie goes silent for a few moments before she puts her body close against mine, her head next to me.

"You're too nice, Alpha. I'm glad that Blue isn't the alpha." My eyes widen at what she said and the others too, except Blue. We look at Blue, and she has this ominous aura, her eyes going dark.

"What did you say?" Charlie jumps at Blue's tone of voice, moving away from me as she takes a few steps back, away from Blue.

"Uh, I have things to do. Bye!" 

"You're not going anywhere!" Blue shrieks as she starts to chase the dashing Charlie, who's scared for her life. Echo, Delta, and I just laugh at their actions. Charlie can get into trouble quickly with Blue. 

"What's that on your neck, alpha?" Echo asks, walking closer to me and examining the bandage on my neck. I hum at her and look down, even though I can't see the bandage.

"This is called a bandage. This is what humans use to cover wound so that they won't have an infection."

"But I thought licking a wound is enough," Delta says, standing next to Echo as she, too, examine it.

"This is more effective."

A clicking noise takes our attention. Looking up, we found the dark-toned man from a few days ago. He waves his hand, and we follow him as he walks. He motions us to get into the cages that have muzzles attach to it for our heads to go through. Charlie and Blue get back to us when we're near the cages. They all look at me with uncertainty.

"It's fine. Blue, Delta?"

"Yes?" 

"You two go first." 

Blue oblige to what I said while Delta is still hesitating. I reassure her that it will be alright before both of them gets into the cage. Their head has muzzles on them now, all they can do is growl and maybe purr from time to time.

Echo and Charlie are already away from the cages. Maybe they're playing with each other. I walk closer to the bars and take a seat on the ground near Delta, my snout through the bars as I lay my head there.

"Don't worry, Delta. Everything will be fine. Just growl or bite when you feel threatened." I can see Delta tries to nod with that muzzle on her face. I nod at her and just stay in that position, guarding them as much as I can through the bars.

The dark-toned man comes in, closing the door behind him. His eyes land on me, and he smiles, bowing his head respectfully towards me. I like this guy. I straighten my head and nod back to him before I lay back down. He walks over to Blue's right side, crouching down a little to her level as she gets caressed. Her eyes dilated a few times.

"How fast can they run?"

I dart my eyes up to find the fat man once again. I roll my eyes at him, clearly annoyed by his presence. Hoskins better not make trouble, or I'll bite that damn face of his. 

"Forty. Fifty when they're hungry."

Hoskins walks closer to Blue, making her growl more and moves around, trying to break free. I bark at her, and when her eyes land on me, she calms down a little bit.

"You ever open them up, see what they can do?"

"No." 

Hoskins moves closer to Blue; I can tell she's uncomfortable by it. She tries to thrash around, moving the muzzle on her snout as she tries to break free again. I can't stop her.

"Shit! That got me. It got me."

"What do you think? Want to take one home?" I growl at the dark-toned man's words, making him turn around to look at me. My eyes dilated when I look at him. I will not let anyone from my pack to the hands of that fat ass Hoskins. He disgusts me.

They walk over to Delta, the dark-toned man's back facing me when he caresses Delta's head from the side.

"How about him back there? Can he run fifty miles if he's hungry?"

"Her normal speed is fifty, but when she's hungry, she can run fifty four."

"It's a girl?"

"Yes."

"You know, when I was your age, I rescued a wolf pup. It was, like, two months old. It could barely walk. It used to sleep by my bed. Watch over me. My wife, she came to me with a steak knife. It took a chunk out of her arm."

"Did you put him down?"

"Hell, no. We have an unshakeable bond, you know? Just like you and...What's his name?" He points at Delta, and she looks at him, pissed because she got referred to as a male.

"Delta. And she's a girl," the dark-toned man corrected.

"Can I uh..?" Hosking trails off as he motions his hand if he can touch Delta. The dark-toned man nods and moves away, letting Hoskins touch Delta's head. Delta's breathing fastens when Hoskins's hand gets closer to her, her growls getting louder. When his hand lands on her head, she moves around, bearing her teeth at him.

The dark-toned man aids Delta by caressing her head and neck, calming her down while Hoskins gawk at her.

"Wow," Hoskins mutters. A phone rings from the dark-toned man's pocket, and he pulls it out, reading something from the notification. He moves away from Delta and looks at the guards that are above us on the bridge.

"Code 19!"

"That's the new one!" one of them shout back.

"They said we lost two guys!" Lost two guys? As in dead because of killed or naturally? Either way, the guards from the bridge rush somewhere else.

"What's code 19?" Hoskins asks, and I nod at the dark-toned man's way, wondering what it means too.

"Asset out of containment. These people they never learn." The dark-toned man walks away from the cage and walks out the door, leaving the three of us with Hoskins who pulled out his phone.

"They're gonna learn all kinds of things from their new asset now." He puts his phone to his ear, calling someone. "Hey. Yeah, it's me. We might have an opportunity here." 

An opportunity?