The Droid

Were the engines always this loud?-

"Watch it short stuff!", a brush on her shoulder snapped the drumming sounds of transport engines to the back of her mind, bringing the new recruit around to mumble a string of apologies to the man who had barked at her on his passing.

"I-I'm sorry I didn't mean to-" He didn't seem to wait for an answer, giving a small frown before hurrying forward and into the crowd around them.

It was her first day on the new D'Qar base, a lush world in the Outer Rim which she had never had the pleasure to visit before, or any lush green planet for that matter. The colours were almost blinding to the naked eye. Every time she'd managed to catch a glimpse out of one of the small windows of the transport shuttle the breath had been caught in her lungs and her blue eyes went as wide as plates.

The others onboard weren't as impressed by the trees and grass like she was, instead talking amongst themselves about the base, the ships, the pilots, and if they'd ever manage to catch a glimpse of the General herself. She was a legend of course, a role model to many, and the one who ran operations around here, which meant every word uttered was said with the most upmost respect and adoration.

     "Did you see the new Resistance posters they started putting out around the Galaxy?"
That had caught her attention in the ship, being from a more remote planet than most meant the young woman didn't much have the luxury of the newest advertisements and holo-net news.
Turning her head slightly in the direction towards the talking couple, a man with dark slicked back hair, and a woman with a tan complexion seemed to be buzzing about this new poster pretty loudly.

  "That pilot was on it, Dameron, I heard he blew up more TIE's than the rest of the squadron combined!"
She'd heard that name before, somewhere, someone had mentioned that man to her. Was it the recruiter she'd ran into only day's prior, or maybe someone talking a little too loudly at a cantina back on her home world? She couldn't remember at the time, but as the two went on about this pilots' accomplishments and looks, it was easy to tell that the Resistance were using him as their poster boy. Who could blame them really, stick a handsome man on every billboard with the title of best pilot in the Galaxy and watch the people flock to a cause they think is right and just.

  Only now they had all stepped off the ship and onto the hard tarmac and concrete, it was becoming a little less important as to what had led them here, and rather, what could keep them alive while they chose to remain.

The line of X-Wings were impressive to say the least, and now that the steady noise of dozens of engines were breaking their way to the forefront of her spiralling thoughts the young recruit's breathing was becoming a little shorter.

Engines blared from every angle, even as her head snapped around to try and find the group she'd arrived with and discern faces she might remember. Everything was loud, busy, which was good for a rebel base of course, but to someone who grew up almost alone in this world, on a backwater planet that was barely inhabitable, she was overwhelmed to say the least.

"OOF- Kriff-!"
Which only resulted in another inevitable fall as the new resistance member began stumbling forward into the crowd and accidentally, into a poor droid who just happened to pass by her feet.
Fully expecting to be met with the unforgiving tarmac, she was instead met with two strong, large hands on her forearm and shoulder. With her eyes snapping widely open, surprise painted her features at the startling sight of her saviour.

He looked as surprised as she was, eyebrows raised up to his hairline for several seconds before steadying her on her feet and releasing her with a chuckle "Careful there, Sweetheart, BB is heavier than he looks".