The Question

Everything else around them stopped, time slowed, the rush of air didn't exist and neither did the noises of the people and machines working in the Resistance base. It was just them, the pilot, and the mechanic who had fallen over his droid when they met upon her arrival on D'Qar. Two people so different, so similar in so many ways neither could comprehend. Here they were, staring at each other in the most opposite ways possible.

Standing stiff, wide eyed, unmoving, in utter shock and with no air in her lungs, Sola choked "W...What?!" Hoarse but soft her voice quivered out, unsure of what she'd heard was even real.

Had she imagined it, dreamt it? No, not even in her dreams could she conjure up this scenario.

She had dreamt about Poe Dameron before, of course, whispering to her in her dreams with comfort and praise, holding her under the starlight while he told her of all the adventures he wanted to take her on. But not once, could she have put together this scene in her head. The way he was staring at her, the way he was staring at her lips like they were the water ready to quench him in an endless desert.

And though Sola had also imagined what it might be like to kiss him, right now her heart couldn't handle the thought of doing it. So it reacted the only way it could, by denying it.

"Can I kiss you?" He repeated easily, his dark eyes never leaving her face, taking in every single reaction, every twitch of her eyebrows, her cheeks, the corners of her mouth and the muscles in her eyelids, Poe didn't want to miss any of it. The turmoil in her brain was splayed out across all her features, and as much as he just wanted to swoop her up into his arms, he feared she'd bolt if he as much as moved one inch in her direction.

She wanted to cry, scream, run away and bury herself deep into the Tatooine desert sand where no one could find her. Unluckily, luckily, there was no where to run from him now. Her feet would not allow such an act at the moment, it felt downright wrong to even think about it.

She was shellshocked. Commander Poe Dameron wanted to kiss her. HER.

"Don't do that" the eventual, sad, conclusion she had come to was that he was toying with her. Flirting for the sake of either his own amusement, or to make her feel better, neither made her feel any better, and neither stopped the tears from welling in her eyes. Sola wanted it to mean something, something she doubted Poe, or anyone for that matter, could ever feel about her.

Holding back, then failing to, a shuddering breath, Sola creased her eyebrows and she repeated herself again "Please, don't...don't do that" She didn't mean the kiss, she meant every intention behind it and Poe knew without needing to ask her to clarify.

But he still asked, because he wanted to hear it from her lips, from the tone of her soft, soothing voice, "Do what?".

"Mess-" The mechanic choked back her tears "Mess with me, p-please".

He didn't want to see her like this, upset and torn apart from her own lies. It hurt him to witness this but he needed her to realise herself, that what she was thinking, was wrong.

"Do you remember the time in the forest, you said it was the first time you'd ever been in one" Poe started, gaze unwavering, determination and affection burning in his veins.

She didn't answer but he knew she understood, "The way you looked at the trees, at the stars" his calloused hand lifted slowly towards her face, only slightly grazing her right cheek as if he was scared she might break under his touch.

"The way you look at droids, at BB after you fixed his antenna" That made a smile twitch at her lips, a tear slipping from the inner corner of her eye that caught against his fingers.